Buying a Sony Vaio TZ

Buying a Sony Vaio TZ

Hi Guys,

Late next week I would be moving to HK to take a new job for two years. I've been to HK few other times but this is going to be my longest stay there.
    One of the first things I would be doing after landing is buying a new laptop for me. I already have a 15.4" one but this time I'm aiming for something small and light weight so I can take wherever I go with ease and even to bed where I usually do my browsing and chatting. I have already decided on a TZ series possibly with a SSD as I'm not much concerned about their limited capacity at the moment. Here is where I need your help in. Where would I be able to get the best price in HK. Will it be Golden or Mongkok or somewhere else. As I'm still starting and settling down I'm on a budjet and would take the cheapest price that I would come across. I believe VAIOs are not price controlled unlike IPODS or MacBooks, so if you could help me with the exact place I should go to inorder to get a baragain I would appreciate it so much.

One other question. Is mobile unlocking legal in HK. I would be bringing my N95 (locked to Optus-Australia) and as it is recenly purchased I do not want to throw it away and get a new one in HK.
    If unlocking is allowed where should I be heading to? Is it a while you wait thing or do you have to leave the phone at the shop for few days. Again I want to get this done for as cheaper as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Buying a Sony Vaio TZ

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've accidnetally posted the same thread in the other forum (Technology Forums->Everything Else) and admins if you could remove that leaving this, I'd be pretty much thanksful.

Late next week I would be moving to HK to take a new job for two years. I've been to HK few other times but this is going to be my longest stay there.
    One of the first things I would be doing after landing is buying a new laptop for me. I already have a 15.4" one but this time I'm aiming for something small and light weight so I can take wherever I go with ease and even to bed where I usually do my browsing and chatting. I have already decided on a TZ series possibly with a SSD as I'm not much concerned about their limited capacity at the moment. Here is where I need your help in. Where would I be able to get the best price in HK. Will it be Golden or Mongkok or somewhere else. As I'm still starting and settling down I'm on a budjet and would take the cheapest price that I would come across. I believe VAIOs are not price controlled unlike IPODS or MacBooks, so if you could help me with the exact place I should go to inorder to get a baragain I would appreciate it so much.

One other question. Is mobile unlocking legal in HK. I would be bringing my N95 (locked to Optus-Australia) and as it is recenly purchased I do not want to throw it away and get a new one in HK.
    If unlocking is allowed where should I be heading to? Is it a while you wait thing or do you have to leave the phone at the shop for few days. Again I want to get this done for as cheaper as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Unlocking a phone that is provider locked is not illegal. Easy to do in HK as well.

Hmmm well you have arrived at the right time to buy as its sale time.

The TZ28GN/X model retails at $20528 but you should get it cheaper at either of the computer centres in Mongkok and Wanchai.

Yup mobile unlocking is indeed Legal here, Again you'd be looking at Mongkok to get this done but I'd use the sin tat centre in argyle street, Its cheap to do, tbh I can't remember the price as all phones in hk are already unlocked anyway.

It can be done straight away, they just attach it to a pc and it literally takes a minute or so, Of course bring a local sim with you to test it first.

vaios are price controlled. you will find mildly cheaper parallel imports in some computer stores in wanchai / mongkok, but you will be giving up the local warranty, running on a copy of windows of questionable origins, etc.

parallel imports used to be popular when the vaio tz (or other series) had more advanced models released exclusively in japan. this is not the case right now.

what i can suggest, is get the officially-imported model from sonystyle store, but get your 1 Gb ram upgrade separately. broadway stores (they will install it for you) charge about $250, but sonystyle will charge you $1500 for the same stick of ram.

Sony's and Toshibas seem to have better pricing in the US. Check the discount etailers like Amazon, Buy.Com and even SonyStyle for sales.

The tz series takes ddr 667 ram, I just bought a 2gb stick in wanchai and paid $390, A 1gb stick is $190 and of course they'll fit it for you there and then.

So don't get it done at fortress and broadway etc if as you say you're on a budget.

Marcus, What do you mean by windows of questionable origins? You're implying fanban? i.e fake to those non cantonese speakers, Thats highly unlikely to be honest. And as regards to the warranty situation if its a grey/parallel important then the shop will provide a warranty anyway.

"Exp. 2/10/08 Save $200 on all pre-configured Sony VAIO® TZ Models: Enter coupon code VAIO200TZ. Shop Sonystyle.com"

Just saw this in my email from the US sonystyle.com shop.