Media centre computer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    Excuse ignorance, but if I had a PS3, why would I need the MX-760HD?
    That just acts as a basic media server, the ps3 will do most of that out of the box you don't need to install anything, the only thing the ps3 does not have is large storage. But you can get an external harddrive format is as fat32 using swissknife and create the directory structure.

There are products out there to run a uPNP server, WMP11, Twonky, Mediatomb on a normal computer. If you have a spare pc in your home just use it as the uPNP server, saves you buying the MX-760HD.

The MX-760HD are good they are an out of the box solution, but they don't allow you to run torrents. If you are like me I download most of my tv shows, so I need a torrent pc, then watch them through the ps3.

Yes can just plug your ps3 into a CAT5 cable using DHCP, or using wireless, then you have LAN and internet access. From there setup your uPNP server and search for new media servers on the ps3. I love the ps3 because I can also use it for games as well the media side.

The Green button site is very good, basic encoding is very easy. If you want to use mencoder which is available on windows I can help you out with all the settings. I encoded all my movies in xvid just because the codec is open source and I find the quality is better. But you can divx just as easy.

Another really cool thing the ps3 is going to support is encoding a blueray movie on the ps3, which allows you to copy and watch it on your PSP.

Also I encoded my entire dvd collection, plus my friends dvd's before I left Australia. All with ac3 and dts sound, if you are short on movies ;-) about 400GB worth.

Ben - What sort of storage do you have?

I have two HDD's 750 and 320, the 750 is for my media. But I would like to have another 750 to mirror my original drive for redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    my mate (and me) are looking into getting this. it streams with the ps3. have not researched a great depth into it yet though:

Mvix MX-780HD Review
    Pin

Do you know where to purchase this unit in HK and the approx. cost.

Thanks in advance for any info

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Pin

Do you know where to purchase this unit in HK and the approx. cost.

Thanks in advance for any info
    sorry mate, i have no clue. i haven't started researching into it yet, my friend just let me know about it.

i'll naturally update if i find out any more information.

Wow - thanks for all of this information!

PS3 route sounds interesting. My original plan was a media center PC, but given I get a gaming console and a blue ray player seems to be the better option.

I went to 188 in Wan Chai and they were quoting anywhere been $3180 to $3570 for a 40Gb PS3 with 2 controllers. No clue if this is reasonable. I might pop in to Sham Shui Po tomorrow on the way home from work. What is a reasonable price? and what do I order - 1 x 40Gb PS3?

I have no preference between xvid or divx - I play both quite happily. I am going to look into this reencoding business over the weekend and see if I can figure it out.

I have plenty of storage. One PC with 1Tb of storage (3 HDD's) and another with 500Gb. I also have a Terabox - external box I can put up to 4 SATA HDD's in. It only currently has 1 500Gb HDD in it but lots of room for expansion there.

The PC's are networked using the Panasonic plugs that use the electric mains as the other PC is upstairs (far too noisy to have in the living room, sounds like a hoover). I have found the network speed really slow using these plug thingies - not really possible to stream movies. I do have a wireless router setup but that was even slower!

Any advice on where to get a PS3 (does it matter if I get a HK one or a grey import?) and should I get the 40Gb or the 80Gb (which I was told was not currently available in HK) and what is a reasonable price?

Thanks!!!

Well it sounds like you have plenty of storage to stream to your ps3. I know what you mean those power plugs ones are not too good.

You can stream on wireless quite good, depending on your unit/house. You said you had upstairs that might cause some interference. If you get a wireless access point or router that supports channel hoping you will get better quality. Channel hoping is when the access point detects interference it changes to a new channel automatically. They are a little more in price but worth it.

Another option is to build a cheap pc like I did and plug it via cat5. The ps3 supports giga LAN, I would get the local 40GB one over the import, the import is locked to what region it is for dvd's, the ps3 supports full upscaling of dvd's to the 1080p. So your normal dvd's look very nice on a lcd screen. There is no region crack at the moment so you will loose that function to be able to play region 3 HK discs. The 80GB model has the support to play older ps2 games, but when you get a ps3 you don't want to play ps2 games.

Blueray's are different they have region a,b,c and HK shares the same region as the states region a.

I got my ps3 from Star Star Electronics Sham Shui Po for $2680 (basic kit, one controller) and a Dual Shock wireless controller for $340. I found that place was the cheapest for pretty much everything to do with the ps3. I walked around the whole of Golden and got prices. Also you can get the ps3 at Broadway for $2680, which is the basic kit. So don't pay anymore then $2680. I also got the logitech bluetooth ps3 keyboard for $648 at Manic Sham Shui Po.

Also my cheap pc cost me:

Wisetek Sham Shui Po
    $550 Dual Core E2160 1.8 intel cpu
    $665 Gigabyte ga-73pvm-s2h
    $150 Kingston 1GB DDR2 667
    $573 320GB WD HDD (Kingsway Computers)
    $245 Pioneer DVR-215 sata
    $338 Antec Earth Watts 380 PW
    $227 Gigabyte GZ-M1 M-ATX blk case (quiet)

Total $2748

That m/b is good for upgrading it supports a quad core cpu, it has HDMI build in and optical out, so if later I want to turn it into a full media pc I can. Just add some more ram.

Good luck

Ben

Thanks,

I'll pop to SSP tonight and pick up the local 40Gb PS3. Where abouts is Star Star Electronics?

recommended retail price for ps3 40gb should be 2,880. That is how much it is selling at hmv for. that comes with one controller. the second controller cost me around HK300.

there are a few differences between the 40gb and the 80gb. naturally the hd size is different, but that can easily be upgraded and the ps3 manual shows you how to do this.

the other things that the 80gb has that the 40gb doesn't is:

- 4 usb ports (40gb only has two)
    - in built memory card reader
    - ps2 games backward compatibility

The shops in Wanchai 188 were telling me that there is no stock of PS3 80 Gb in HK at the moment. Do you know how much they cost?

I have a PS2 so backward compatibility isn't really a big deal.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast