Like Tree6Likes

Camera recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Camera recommendations?

Needs - generally point and shoot. Price up to around HK$3000. Would like some flexibility to change settings.

Any recommendations for brands, models and places to buy (if not Fortress?)

I quite like the Panasonic DMC-LX5, my wife has one and it has been an excellent point and shoot camera that allows full manual adjustment. Nice metal body and feel. We purchased ours in Tokyo which was under $3000HKD including a 8GB HC memory card. SO I can imagine these days you should be able to get down to low $3's in HK for a HK authorised model.
    Name:  Panasonic DMC-LX5.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  45.7 KB

Canons S100 - S110 would be quiet o.k also, but I tend to like the Leica-ishness of the Panasonic over the very mind numbingly generic Canon/Nikon fodder in this range, plus the Pana performs very nicely, as a point and shooter.

Sony's DSCHX200V might be interesting also if you can get it for low $3000ish money, and dont mind a bulkier, but nice performing camera for the price.

Name:  Sony HX200.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  18.8 KB

drumbrake likes this.

Canon PowerShot S100 - Should have everything you need and well under $3k

drumbrake likes this.

Nikon P310 is also a good choice, full manual control and a nice f1.8 lens.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

drumbrake likes this.

I've the Canon S90 and S95 - good image quality and nice size. Can't ask for more from a point and shoot. So the S100/S110 should be a good buy.

drumbrake likes this.

Check out dpreview.com, excellent website with many reviews. You could also consider the Canon SX260, very good zoom range, manual settings and good IQ. Great allround travel camera. I just bought the Sony RX100, probably the best p&s camera to date, but it is in the HKD 4900 range. Try Wing Shing Brothers in Mong Kok, they usually give you the best price.

drumbrake likes this.

I also recommend the Canon s100 with the comparatively larger sensor than other P&S. it also features a great night mode to shoot handheld without flash - it takes many images in a fraction of a second and then automatically combines them to create the final image.

drumbrake likes this.

Thanks all. Got the Canon S110 from Fortress for $3400 plus lots of free gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake
    Thanks all. Got the Canon S110 from Fortress for $3400 plus lots of free gifts.
    You always have to be a step ahead of us eh?

(good one)

The Sony RX100 is an astonishingly good camera, but nearer the 5k mark. It has rendered my DSLR and suite of lenses more or less obsolete!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast