Bad news: Email becoming more unreliable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

have to agree with the OP...at work we've been having these spats of missing mail by the dozens of messages, plus there's crashing on yahoo etc. not a tech person so i can't say for the reasons, but common sense hints at an overworked infrastructure flooded with new users (much cheaper to go online than to increase capacity, obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    99% work but the number of email servers that are getting screwed up by the admins is increasing.
    Mail server configuration gets some people into heated debate at times. I reach a compromise by demanding requirements that administrators SHOULD do, not MUST do, but provide feed back to the intended recipient who can prod me to white list them.

In postfix, for us, the two settings reject_invalid_helo_hostname and reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname kill as much spam as any other filtering mechanism.

Users end up with a daily mail looking like this:

1: Rejections due to unknown reverse client hostname.

Sender's are rejected due to the sender's ISP not having an address to hostname
    mapping for their outgoing mail server. This process is called reverse DNS lookup,
    further details can be found on the Wikipedia article "Reverse DNS lookup".

Reverse DNS lookup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feb 10 06:49:31: from=<[email protected]> 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected:
    cannot find your reverse hostname, [82.200.165.135]; rdns=<unknown>
    ip=<82.200.165.135> helo=<82.200.165.135>
    I like the Barracuda Spam Firewall but I want a more global solution that can be a virtual appliance with end-to-end reporting not just a gateway solution. I'd prefer a web interface like Barracuda for users but the mail notification was faster to setup.

Last edited by MrMoo; 19-02-2008 at 09:41 PM.

What are your requeirments in terms of a virtual appliance?

You want to split it into multiple companies or something?

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    What are your requeirments in terms of a virtual appliance?
    There are four companies, half each side of the globe. I have two VPS nodes, one in Atlanta, US, and one in Wan Chai. The Internet connectivity at both is better than the offices, but I still want the same functionality: being able to check mail status history and ideally per-user spam filtering.

By status, as an example, show all mail to/from [email protected] with their status codes, retry attempt times, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2