PCCW - Can someone give them a clue?

Closed Thread

PCCW - Can someone give them a clue?

Two apparent errors allowed the outage to propagate beyond Pakistan, according to Todd Underwood, vice president and general manager of Internet community services at Renesys.

Pakistan Telecom established a route that directed requests for YouTube videos from local Internet subscribers to a "black hole," where the data was discarded, according to Renesys. Pakistan Telecom's mistake was that it then published that route to its international data carrier, PCCW Ltd. of Hong Kong, Underwood said.

The second mistake was that PCCW accepted that route, Underwood said. It started directing requests from its customers for YouTube data to Pakistan. And since PCCW is one of the world's 20 largest data carriers, its routing table was passed along to other large carriers without any attempt at verification.

"Once a pretty big network gets an error like that, it propagates to most or all of the Internet very quickly," Underwood said. As he put it, Pakistan Telecom was impersonating YouTube to much of the world.
    Pakistan's YouTube ban blocks other countries - USATODAY.com

Goes to show how fragile their internets are.

We have been so disappointed with their sales / customer service people. Had someone at the Cyberport NOC send them an email saying we were looking for some bandwidth - NO reply.

Called their customer service hotline, explained to them we needed business bandwidth, was promised a callback like 3 weeks ago - NO reply.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Called their customer service hotline, explained to them we needed business bandwidth, was promised a callback like 3 weeks ago - NO reply.
    Oh I am still waiting for them to come and p/u my NOW box from when I lived in Clearwater Bay in 2004 ... I sent my helper to go hand it in Wan Chai & Mong Kok service centers the actually refused to take it ... checked on my cc and not getting charged either --- PHEW a relief.

I have NOW broadband but with new boxes that they provided ...

KIA, I think many people can get caught out on that one. It is often that you leave your routing tables without strict filtering and someone feeds you a crap BGP announcement then it gets distributed. If you don't do it this way if there are outages or changes on the topology you have to start intervining manually.

Yes maybe they should have been a bit stricter. It is for this "All goes" or "strict and can break" I don't really believe in multi-homing purely using BGP.

Anyway Pakistan telecom did screw up their routers. That is the guy that needs shooting or the guy that went announced Youtubes AS number. (I think there was another ISP Piechez or something involved)

PCCW to resolve this probably did the fastest thing was to shut down their interfaces to Pakistan Telecom until they put in place all the filters. (You can't just pop these in so easily at times). That is why the article said Pakistan shut down by PCCW as probably a large percentage of Pakistan's bandwidth is supplied by PCCW.

Thinking of it, the amount of bandwidth going to PCCW must have been massive, actually that should have taken thier backbone down, (a rare thing for them not to go down when any little misshap) so they didn't do too badly. My guess is that PCCW Pakistan must be running on PCCWBTN which has little to do with the crap that average NOW TV broadband user has.

Could you then imagine a BGP update going out for routes to paypal.com... from a phisher?

P telecom should have just switched their DNS servers to set *.youtube.com to 127.0.0.1

yes but to be able to do that you need to get on the core router of an ISP and know what you are doing.

Paypal probably have a team of people that are monitoring their BGP routes in several places around the planet and they would find out and react whithin minutes.

When I ran HKIGS in 1996 I remember an ISP (EMI NY) that we were connected to in the past announced our BGP, which I was away travelling. We could only see part of the internet for 4 days. When I returned to HK I got all ISP around them to filter their shit. EMI were having issues.

Later on they did again, as they uploaded some old config.

Sometimes this happens someone decides due to a debt or something to take out the IP blocks of another provider or company.