A/V receiver?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

the DZ1000 has no HDMI input...and the SF2000 has no component.......so those wont work.

ok...so im currently looking at:

Denon AVR-2308 vs AVR-2808.
    What is difference between 2 models?

Also, can you recommend a speaker / sub setup to compliment the receiver? I like the tall thin speakers (whatever they are called). Hopefully the speaker / sub setup will only be around $4000 or less, so that i can keep this total cost to roughly 8-9K.

Last edited by BenderBends; 02-03-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends
    the DZ1000 has no HDMI input...and the SF2000 has no component.......so those wont work.
    component (video) connects to the TV, not the reciever. you only need to connect audio out to the receiver, for which the SF2000 allows 3 sets of input.

I am thinking that Bender had in mind that if he ran Component through the amp, and had it switched through the HDMI output, then he could upscale whatever input to HDMI, but for what I have read, most if not all budget av receivers that do that, upscale to no higher than 480p.

Marcus makes sense that the LCD or Plasma TV has a host of all the AV inputs, used today, Composite, S-Video, Component, HDMI and DVI.

The Sony in my opinion for $6000 is pretty hard to beat considering how good it sounds, at the end of the day, sound quality should be the main reason for purchasing it. The fact that its all kept in a very compact interface and that it comes supplied with 4 speaker stands, is right up there for best bang for buck at the moment.

ok...just when i thought i was getting the hang of things....now im confused.

i thought in order to get ALL my devices to utilize the surround sound setup...then ill need them all to pass through the receiver. The receiver would then split the sound to speakers, and video to TV. is this not the case?

i did want the upscale feature too, which I have read that the Denon 2308 will upscale to 1080P.

Regardless, it seems like you guys are saying to keep connecting all my devices to the TV, but then connect the sound from TV to the receiver so that it can pass to the surround speakers? how do i do this?

on a similar note, if i run out of HDMI inputs...then can i just use a HDMI switch added to the TV? this way i can make my 2 inputs on TV into a 5 input? will it degrade my video or audio?

Last edited by BenderBends; 03-03-2008 at 01:09 PM.

By the way, I'm a big fan of Denon. Yamaha also have some very capable recivers.

btw...i found the SF2000 at chung yuen chop in times square.
    its around 8.5K and includes a sony blue-ray disc player and 5 blue ray movies. but i feel like the receiver is smarter for future use...no?

Last edited by BenderBends; 03-03-2008 at 01:21 PM.

ok...so i finally found the Sony HT-SF2000 for $4000.
    Before I buy, can someone please confimr the following concerns:

So if i get this, I would connect my Wii (via componant) and my PS3 (via HDMI) and my iMac (video via DVI>HDMI, audio via optical audio port) to the Philips TV. I would then connect the TV to the SF2000 (via optical audio port).

Is that correct?

also...where can i buy the Digital optical audio cords? Fortress has them, but they are $500....is that really how much they are? And i am told that i need a miniplug adapter for the iMac optical cable....any ideas?

Last edited by BenderBends; 04-03-2008 at 06:31 PM.

any final thoughts or suggestions or answers to my above questions before i buy this weekend?

Bender : The made in china cords at the various computer centers / AV shops are MUCH cheaper than that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast