A/V receiver?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

KIA: do you know where to buy the miniplug adapter for the optical digital out port on my imac?

No, I'm pretty ignorant about all things Apple - don't even own an iPod. I'd just ask around in the shops in Mongkok or the Apple dealers.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but since the right people are probably reading it...

Looking at Denon 3808 vs possibly the Onkyo 905, or saving a bit of cash and getting the Yamaha 3800, or maybe spending a bit more on the Denon 4308. Any thoughts on:

a) the choice between these?
    b) best places for a good price?

YOU BASTARD !!!!!!!

just kidding...the least you could do though is make a suggestion on my posts since they are still open items?

btw...how much is the Denon 3808...whats the benefit over 2308?

I've always said, I have a preference for Denon (rock solid performer and quality). Yamaha is good too.

Not bought any Sony gear for the last 15 years. Another long story....

I think you cant go wrong with yamaha or denon. Onkyo has been rising in popularity in the past decade but their recent offerings 607/../905 seems to be been plagued by stability, lip-sync, and heat problems according to posts at AVSforum.

You can check the threads at AMPs, Receivers, and Processors - AVS Forum
    for reviews, comments, problems on various receivers.

I guess you are no longer going the home theatre in a box route with the sony sf-2000. smart choice

let me know what speakers you end up going with and how they sound. i'm in the market for a new set of receiver + speakers as well.

Last edited by marcuslai; 06-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.

The 3808 is about $11K I believe. It has network connectivity for streaming from a media server plus network radio plus configuration/control via a web/GUI interface on your PC (plus online firmware upgrades). It also has a whole heap more codecs & connectivity options, plus a second independent video zone (for the bedroom) and even a third audio zone. It generally seems to be a bit more future proof.

I'm sorry I haven't really looked at the Sony stuff you're thinking of so can't offer any advice on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends
    btw...how much is the Denon 3808...whats the benefit over 2308?
    there are > 100 pages of comments on the 3808 here ... The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - AVS Forum

not sure what the prices are, but i believe you'll want to be shopping in one of that building in mongkok where every floor is a different AV / camera shop for the best deals ... someone else can probably offer u better directions than this ...

are the prices in times square competitive?
    or should i be looking for the smaller shops in the lesser mall areas like mongkok or wanchai?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast