internet and tv

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am with HKBN quite good, on the bb50 plan no point going higher the only guarantee 20 international, I signed up for a contract $258 per month and I got a sony DSC-T200 camera, which I was going to buy anyway. So take the cost of the camera and that is what you pay per month. I also got the land line for $8 per month ridiculous price.

Not too sure about the bbtv I know it is HD it is $88 per month, the top box is free if you sign up on a contract. Not too sure about the channel line up I have not looked yet.

I would think i-cable runs over coaxial and would only support cables speeds plus the need for a cable modem, I have also heard some bad things about i-cable, where HKBN gives you CAT to your door, you don't even need a modem just plug it straight into your NIC. The PCCW plans don't seem that great maybe I was looking at the wrong page. The 18/30 plan does not look too bad, you get 2 SD channels as well for 292 per month.

I think HKBN is good value I would check them out, their 100M plans are cheaper then PCCW, they also offer WIFI on their basic bb50 plan. I get very good speeds at all times, TV torrents are ridiculously fast. The speed does fluctuate but I expect that on a consumer based plan. All ports are open, you can host your own webserver if you want , dynamic IP though although you can use dyndns no probs. If you want to use your connection for more.

and this topic should definitely be added to the FAQ section...

I was so confused about this when I first moved here.

Mike i am moving to the us in april and i was looking for somone who would be interested in internet connection cable and home line i still have 7 months left on my contract if u are interested i could transfer it over .. Its by PCCW . If you are interested please email me at [email protected] or call me at 92262127
    Thanks

Yes internet plans with all the acronyms and different labels can be confusing in any country, without the added complexity of Chinese in HK.

Regarding the internet if you just like to open your browser and surf the internet and check your email, most likely the cheapest broadband plan will be more then suffice. If you want faster speeds, open ports, if you like to download a lot of stuff, then you will have to research a little more to get the best value.

I think this topic should be added as a sticky under the technology forums, to allow people to comment on their provider. Internet and TV is usually one of the first things you want to get setup once you settled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2