modded japanese wii from Sham Shui Po

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by crazidan
    no, i already know what mod chip it is. it's a wiikey. thats what they sold.
    then yea, it doesn't matter which version it is. just update to the newest firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_bee
    crazidan: From what I've read Super Smash Brothers is a dual layer disc and the latest firmware update for the Wiikey (1.9s) will let you play dual layer games.

To check your version of the Wiikey you could download the latest update onto a dvd and then when you run it on your wii you can check which version you have through the wiikey's menu system.
    Hi, I'm also having a similar situation as crazidan. Have a modified (unsure if its Wiikey or mod chip though) Jap Wii purchased from HK & trying to play Super Smash Brothers bought from China. After inserting the Super Smash Brothers disc, it prompt "Starting to update firmware". Can anyone help and advice if I should update the firmware as I read from other threads that game disc update may brick the console.

Hi jay_bee, I intend to check if my console is on wiikey. may i know where do i go to download the wiikey update. Thanks!

Hi crazidan, are you now able to play Super Smash Bros?

Hi klayshrew

It's probably not a good idea to allow the super smash brothers disc to do the upgrade. I think all you need to do is connect your wii to the net and choose to update over the web from Nintendo's own server. Then your wii will be version 3.2j

To get the latest wiikey firmware 1.9s you can find it on wiikey's website wiikey.cn

Klayshrewd: NICE, same scenario , no i have not yet been able to play SSBB. kinda wasted my easter holiday... no SSBB

When I get the wiikey update file, what do i do with it? <---steps here please. and how do i go update my wii on the internet? from the wii? Thanks.

I got the wiikey update file (1.9 JAP) from WiiKey.cn :: Official Site of the WiiKey Modchip <---official website of wiikey, is that where I get it? I believe that 1.9 was officially released on march 26 (it says there)

Thanks a lot guys.
    good luck klayshrewd (we will get to play SSBB)

Thank you, jay_bee and crazidan.

Crazidan, I'm sure we would play Smash Bros some day. Will share the good news when the time comes!

crazidan

After you have the wiikey update you should be able to just burn it onto a dvd. Then put it in the machine, choose the disc and then go from there.

You can update your wii's firmware over the net from the Wii settings.

This website has posted a really useful translation of the Japanese menu system into English. I just followed the translated guide and updated my Wii to version 3.2j over my wifi connection.

Sheylara.com ? Blog Archive ? Wii English translation for Japanese systems

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot Jay BEE, you have been a lot of help!! Klayshrewd and I will soon be able to play SSBB!!

good luck

You know you can modify the game to play on a normal one layer DVD? I did that for the US version of the game, but you don't get to see the videos when you play in the story mode. The game loads really fast though and there are never any problems reading the disc. The Wii has a pretty shitty laser which many can't even read dual layers.

A few months ago I burned the Jap version of the game on dual layer and was playing it. I let the game update my firmware (US console) and all it did was add the Japanese news and weather channels. No big deal. Didn't ruin my console. You can do the same thing with the Jap console and US disc. You will probably just have some extra US channels.

On a sidenote, does anyone want to play Smash Bros via Wifi? I have not found anyone to play with in Hong Kong, I've been forced to play with people in the US, which is extremely laggy.

Let me know if you are up for a match.

TBJ: i would definently up for a match but i still don't have SSBB yet. we'll start a fight once i get it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast