Like Tree1Likes

Bluetooth storage device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bluetooth storage device

A friend described a device he saw in India : a credit card sized bluetooth device that you can store data on. It can be used with your favorite bluetooth devices to store as well as transfer various data.

I tried googling for such a device but I'm only finding old HDD devices with bluetooth enabled instead of small SSD devices.

Are such devices available in HongKong? Do they have a brand/generic name so I can search for them?

It doesn't make sense to use a SSD in such a device as bluetooth speeds are so slow.

Perhaps its not the latest NAND-flash based memory but using older/cheaper technology? I personally have not seen these so I'm wondering if they actually do exist or not.

Its entirely possible that my friend is mistaken - he is not exactly a tech guy - but the concept seems plausible to me.

Has anyone seen such a thing?

A storage device with bluetooth would need a reasonable battery capacity, was this "Credit card" sized item also "Credit card" thin??

Seems a bit implausible!

NFC maybe?

Definitely not NFC. My friend is talking about storing pictures and videos which would be beyond capabilities of NFC.

Bluetooth is dead slow, would take forever to transfer even a couple of pictures.
    I don't see the point.
    Do you have a problem you want to solve? perhaps we can suggest an alternative

I've seen storage devices that are connected via wifi.
    Apple store and the independents stock them.
    Not cheap though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...x=wireless+har

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Bluetooth is dead slow, would take forever to transfer even a couple of pictures. I don't see the point.
    Hmmm, I see your point
    Do you have a problem you want to solve? perhaps we can suggest an alternative
    The root of the issue is that my friend is looking to source/buy this device. Thinking more about it (and more fruitless searches), i dont think this exists in the way its been described to me
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 19-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Maybe your friend has done what I do sometimes. Sometimes I have a problem and can visualize the solution, a piece of tech, low or high and off I go on a mission to find it! Now, I have a theory that, as I'm not an engineer and not a genius, anything I can think of has already been invented, within certain limits of course. Often, when I go searching for this item...bam, I find it, it exists! Sometimes it doesn't. Maybe your friend's idea falls into the latter category!
    Hope that helps!

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wayland
    It doesn't make sense to use a SSD in such a device as bluetooth speeds are so slow.
    I think by SSD he just meant some kind of memory card / flashdrive, as opposed to hard-disk based, with focus on wireless storage on a very small device rather than transfer speed (although the faster the better of course).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast