tech stuff for someone moving over

tech stuff for someone moving over

so...i'm looking at a few options for what i need when i get there, but noticed that hkg sites seem a little...uninformative (either that or i suck at understanding)..

over in nyc, i have a contract cellphone plan that gives me 400 minutes/unlimited night/weekend/unlimited data connection (iphone)

i also have an hsdpa/3g card for my laptop so i can access the internet wherever i am.

at home i have cable tv along with bundled broadband service (unlimited)

can someone point me to the correct sites/plans i should be looking at? pccw looks decent to me- but i'm not a fan of the module that i need to use with my laptop to access the internet/wifi...

i'm assuming i should be able to find similar options in hkg? or am i mistaken in thinking that the data portions (phone/wifi/broadband) will be unlimited as i'm presently accustomed to?

thanks!

All fixed line broadband connections are unlimited. You can buy mobile plans with however many minutes of local airtime you want bundled in (you buy international calls separately). The only problem with the 3G wireless data is, reportedly, that you get heavily rate-limited once you breach a certain monthly download threshold.

PDLM - Not sure about this, but I think the ratelimiting is for HSDPA type options and not the 3G (which is what .. 300-400Kbps?).

Sorry - yes, you may be right, I was relaying others' comments here from memory since I don't use mobile broadband myself.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    PDLM - Not sure about this, but I think the ratelimiting is for HSDPA type options and not the 3G (which is what .. 300-400Kbps?).

don't mind my non-techiness, but over here hsdpa is the same as 3g...or at least they mean the same thing...ther'es a difference over there?

final Q- are phones like europe/uk over there- meaning incoming calls are free/charged to the caller, or is it like the US whereby a minute is a minute regardless of who calls...?

HSDPA is the 2nd generation 3G data standard. I believe you can still get the lower speed first generation service from at least some providers.