Like Tree1Likes

Email question - Mac and blackberry

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Email question - Mac and blackberry

My email is Google Apps - and it's pretty large.

So yesterday, in an attempt to reduce the size of the email on my computers (one of which does not have much space), I archived 2010 and 2011 email. While I was at it, I found an article which said that in Mac Mail, if you have the gmail setting to "Show All Mail in IMAP" it effectively downloads two copies of all messages - the Inbox AND the All Mail, so for saving space and efficiency, don't tick the "Show all mail" box.

This sounded really promising for saving disc space, so I unchecked it. And fabulous. I regained about 30GB of disc space (yes, that IS a G not an M). This is brilliant, it's solved heaps of problems I currently have with my macbook air not having enough room.

Except, there is a slight (ok, not so slight) glitch.

I realised a few hours later, that my blackberry did not seem to be receiving any mail. on further investigation, it appears that Blackberry needs the "All Mail' to be checked.

So - this is the problem. There is only one setting - you can't set it one way for mac mail and one way for Blackberry (the setting is in the gmail settings area, not on any particular device).

So - how can I keep my wonderful slimline mailbox on my mac's but also get my blackberry to work? Any ideas?

(Points to note and thus not bother commenting about ... Yes, I love my blackberry and throwing it away is not an option. Yes, I do have an Android too and love that too, but it's NOT a replacement for the blackberry because onscreen keyboards are crap for typing long messages. And no, I don't want to go back to having two copies of everything on the mac. And yes, I DO need my mail downloaded on the mac so that I can use it on a plane, country with crappy internet, while traveling, on the bus etc etc)

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

How can you love your blackberry, I was so happy to get rid of it a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    How can you love your blackberry, I was so happy to get rid of it a year ago.
    I can type fast and accurately on it and the traveller plan means it does not cost me to get email overseas. I need it for travelling. I don't need it in HK - so I have a few days to solve this problem.

Try not emailing so much.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Try not emailing so much.
    How is that going to help me get the email back on my blackberry?

We run our company by email. it might have something to do with the fact that both my business partners are deaf and our clients are all overseas. This is not my personal email we are talking about - that's all in icloud which is working fine on both mac and blackberry.

can't you convert your old emails to word or pdf file and save on bb's sd card? ie, convert 2010,2011 and 2012 email to word and save on sd card (that's why sd card is so important for mobile), freeing your bb email inbox space

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    How is that going to help me get the email back on my blackberry?

We run our company by email. it might have something to do with the fact that both my business partners are deaf and our clients are all overseas. This is not my personal email we are talking about - that's all in icloud which is working fine on both mac and blackberry.
    If its work related, can't your IT department sort it out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    If its work related, can't your IT department sort it out for you?
    I would say Moving is her own IT department.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

On the surface the simplest solution would seem to be to spend tuppence ha'penny to put a few hundred GB of extra memory on the computer that's low on space, or is that not possible on an Air?

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    On the surface the simplest solution would seem to be to spend tuppence ha'penny to put a few hundred GB of extra memory on the computer that's low on space, or is that not possible on an Air?
    Not possible. solid state disc.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast