Problems getting Your emails through to people?

Closed Thread

Problems getting Your emails through to people?

There are just more and more screwed up mail servers out there and we are spending more and more time tracing emails and debugging other peoples services to prove to our customers we are not screwing up.

I've written about this in the past, but now it is a daily occurance we are having to do this.

It seems there are just more and more idiots out there setting up stupid "clever" configuration. Some idiots just configure their mail server without the .com on their domain and then ask us why there are prrblems? Every day it is the for the past 2 weeks it has been the same.

I'm guessing the ratio of domains/systems to trained engineers is getting out of whack. Some more and more fuck-wits are becoming in charge of mail servers and "improve things".

Anyway either the economics of email are going to have to be adjusted or I think email will become less used due to reliability.

If you are setting mail server, don't touch the config, the retries, the queue's, don't do anything clever, input your domain and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    Some idiots just configure their mail server without the .com on their domain and then ask us why there are prrblems?
    I get the impression it must be in the installation guide for Microsoft Exchange. Even BOCHK has a bogus configuration.

I've started trying out policy-weightd, it's letting through more mail.

How come Netvigator has hundreds of mail servers, and every one has an unknown helo hostname that is the real hostname with "icm" appended?

Where did my reply go?

Mr Moo i replied, anyway PM if you want to exchange notes.

We have an storage overdraft facility so that when a users mailbox is full we put the email on a local queue and give the users 2-10 days to make room, then our system delivers it. This sends out notifications to senders as to the status of their email delivery from MAILER-DEAMON.

The great thing I've discovered is that many ISP outright block MAILER-DAEMON emails or rate limit them, so if there is a problem delivering an email senders will not receive notification errors generated from other mail servers other than their own. They will not get to find out if their email was rejected if they are talking to a high volume mail server.