Like Tree1Likes

Fed up with PPCW, who else is there for internet?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unfortunately for me, after calling around it turns out only PCCW services my building....

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad
    My so called "6/8M" contract with PCCW has finally come to an end and I'm looking for a new internet provider...
    Can someone tell me who else has (reliable) fast(er) internet service? For HK island south...
    Thanks!
    you can always go for HGC Broadband service. however as mentioned by another forum user. the speed is only guaranteed within the ISPs network. hwoerver my exp with HGC has been very good i never had any problems..plus its cheap

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad
    Unfortunately for me, after calling around it turns out only PCCW services my building....
    Who did you call?

That happened to me while I was applying for HGC. They then told me that it will take them about a week to apply for the use of a PCCW line (only PCCW services our building) which seems to be a normal procedure...

all has been sorted and running well now
    good luck

If the problems are dropped connections and low speed to everywhere then that is due to the physical condition of the cabling near your apartment. Getting HGC to run their service over the same physical wires (and even perhaps the same electronics) isn't going to fix that.

classic thread!

We've just gone through the hassles of porting some numbers from PCCW to HGC. Ok, its not the same as internet connections, but at the end of the day, its a wire they're connecting to at some end to your apartment.

PCCW rejected the HGC request, as they apparently own some terminal equipment in the new office.

The HGC sales guy got their back office involved and it was sorted out eventually.

We'll be officially free of all PCCW connectivity in about a weeks time in the office.

>> physical condition of the cabling near your apartment

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. HGC can and often does use different wiring schemes from PCCW.

Anyway, in my case HGC won't make it happen, their final word is: " Currently, we do not provide the Broadband Service at your address temporarily. However, we will plan to expand our service in order to satisfy our customer needs."

I know, pulling your finger out and finding out the 8-10 ISPs who provide internet access using PCCW's copper/ATM/DSL/Fiber transport is too much hassle.

From having answered this question a few times, most don't want to use anything they have not seen advertised and switch to another of the big 4. No point in mentioning any companies really. We are advertising/marketing slaves that can't go beyond thinking about the 4 big players in town.

Just renew with PCCW and keep coming back and bitch like everyone else or just be patient. Or move home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2