Like Tree1Likes

TV from Australia

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question TV from Australia

Hi,

I moved to Hong Kong recently from Australia. I brought my Panasonic HD tv over. It could not receive signal from the cable tv point. Can anyone out there give me advise on this?

Er, have you subscribed to CableTV?

dumbdonkey likes this.

Your Australian TV should work here, mine did. You just need to tune it, and probably buy an ariel.

However, I wouldn't bother. TV here is Crap. Seriously. Only two channels with any English and mostly they show 10yr old stuff or lifestyle crap that a 6 yr old would not want to watch.

You need to google "torrents" and then sign up for theempire.bz and take it from there.

EDIT - opps I didn't see you wanted cable. OK - well cable is crap with a little c and also not worth it. But there are more English channels. The other advice still applies

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    and probably buy an ariel.
    ... if you live on a boat or in an old village house. Otherwise the aerial is going to be part of the building infratructure.

New Australian TV's wont work any more because the digital tuner is a different standard from what is used in HK/China. Back in the old days when it was PAL vs NTSC there was no problem because Australia and HK both used PAL system. But now Australia uses DVB-T and HK uses DTMB.

The TV can still work as a 'monitor'. But will require a HK DTMB tuner to pick up any signals.

Useful to know - mine was a PAL TV which works here. Actually we got it in Malaysia and it worked in Aus, NZ and now here .....

Quote Originally Posted by AussieCath:
    Hi,

I moved to Hong Kong recently from Australia. I brought my Panasonic HD tv over. It could not receive signal from the cable tv point. Can anyone out there give me advise on this?
    Who is the provider of the cable TV?

I bought the tv in Australia 6 years ago. Does it use PAL? Also, where can I go to get a tuner here?

The cable TV is provided for by the apartment. The tv belonging to the owner works fine. I get 'no signal' on my tv though when I plugged into the cable tv point.

Thank you, I will give it a try.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast