Most reliable ISP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Most reliable ISP

Hi,

I moved to HK about 6 months ago, and, after some research, decided to get 'net via pacific internet. They are far from the cheapest but from what I read, had good customer support.

Well, 6 months in, and sure the customer support is friendly and helpful, but the actual international link is terrible. I consistently have bad latency, and often lose packets. A buddy who lives a couple of hundred meters away has pccw, and has very few problems in comparison. I am very sick of this. Price is not a huge factor (with in reason), but my net connection provides me with both work and entertainment, and I need a connection with a reliable connection to the US. Low latency and a minimum of dropped packets (I dont particularly care about the available bandwidth).

I have literally raised about 20 support tickets with pacnet, and, apart from one, brief 2 week period, I have had consistently poor performance.

Any suggestions? Or do I just suck it up and roll the dice and go with PCCW?

EDIT: I have searched but haven't really found much more than PCCW and I-cable bashing. I do currently have i-cable for TV (ugg), NOW is not a big deal, certainly if the image quality is worse than i-cable I wont nothing to do with it.

Also, I don't think HGC has fibre in my area.

Last edited by ascl; 19-05-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Pac Net is usually known as Crap Net amongst people who've tried them

Are you looking for a business / always on connection or a PPoE type connection?

Sorry I didn't make that clear. Its a residential connection, but I work from home... broadband connection, PPPoE is fine.

I am somewhat shocked I have moved from Australia to Hong Kong and gotten much much worse internet! (I want my 24 Mbps ADSL2 connection back :P).

Last edited by ascl; 19-05-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Drop the guys at HGC a line, or the PCCW resellers like Netfront.Net etc... They offer a far more solid connection than crapnet.

Any chance you can elaborate on the 'etc' a bit? I think I am out of luck with HGC, but will check out netfront, thanks

HKIX has a page somewhere which shows the providers. Most second tier providers use premium PCCW lines if I've understood the resident geek (HK.Com) correctly and have rather uncongested connections overseas.

But seriously, anything is better than Pac.

MXZ

Business Internet

I'll be in HK at the end of the month and will be needing a solid connection for work. I'd only really glanced at the cable / adsl offerings...

What business solutions are there? I'll be working from home remoting (mostly anyway) to the UK. A stable and ideally fast connection is important - if it goes down then I can't work

Cost isn't a massive factor as without it I can't work anyway.

What are other people using?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    HKIX has a page somewhere which shows the providers. Most second tier providers use premium PCCW lines if I've understood the resident geek (HK.Com) correctly and have rather uncongested connections overseas.

But seriously, anything is better than Pac.
    pacnet uses PCCW lines. And it was based on a post by hk.com that I picked pacnet Its been a terrible experience.

So, anyone have anything bad to say about HGC?

>> What are other people using?

HGC at work and PCCW at home.

Quote Originally Posted by ascl
    pacnet uses PCCW lines. And it was based on a post by hk.com that I picked pacnet Its been a terrible experience.

So, anyone have anything bad to say about HGC?
    could you tell me where I recommeded HK Pacific internet? When I used them I had a terrible experience with them but that was about 4 years ago. I also didn't like their monthly router rebooting saga and their billing. Not sure how they run their operation now adays.

They have been aquired by Asianetcom which owns sub-sea fiber around asia and to the US which is pretty good merger.

All 2nd teer ISPs use wires from the FTNS operators, NWT/PCCW/HGC/WharfT&T. Most of these ISPs can connect you to their network with a choice of one to three different FTNS operators.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast