yet another isp question

Closed Thread

yet another isp question

I just freshly moved to HK and have to take care of my internet connection.
    After endless talkings to the PCCW, i-cable, HGCBroadband and HKBroadband I have found out that my location is only covered by PCCW or HGC.

As I would like to have a good routing to Europe I hope I get some recommendations. I have to work remotely in Europe from time to time and want to download from there.

More I would like to have a static ip (if possible) because I would like to run some services from home. Any experiences with dyndns/ftp/mail services running from home with those companies?

Thank you already in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by boarder:
    Any experiences with dyndns/ftp/mail services running from home with those companies?
    Residential DSL mail hosting? You're in the wrong millennium.

mail was standing for some general services. i need to run some services from home.

i feel quite real

at the moment i am intending to go for the HGC 10mbit. any comments on that one?

so, if no any bad comments on hgcbroadband are coming I will buy this today

What sort of deals are out there for internet packages nowdays. I want to get about 10mb internet and have heard that Hong Kong Broadband are really good value.

Anyone seen any good deals recently that i could take up or that I could at least work with to make an estimate of how much I should be paying as i don't have a clue as this is my first time signing up to an ISP in Hong Kong.

Also will i need to use my HKID number so sign up or can I use my passport number as i'm waiting for my ID still

Applying without a HKID might be problematic. Even if they will accept it, is it wise to commit to 12+ months of service if you are essentially just a temporary visitor (albeit working illegally?) and may have to leave at short notice?

hi killahbad

the last week i did evaluate a few isps here in hong kong and finally went for hgc broadband 10mbit symmetric ethernet.
    i have to pay 188hk/month and will get 7 month for free. so the avarage is around 109hkd.
    my estate was only covered by pccw and hgc broadband. pccw was too expensive and even has slower ping times and poorer routing to europe.
    hgc broadband offers for example value added services such as free dyndns. this means you can run our own services such as ip cameras etc. the terms & conditions explicitally allow you to run http, ftp etc. servers.
    if you need this, read other companies terms and conditions carefully. not all the companies allow that.

pdlm: my gf signed the contract

HKID is on its way i'm applying for ROA but if that don't come through I have a company ready to sponsor me - I just wanted to sign up to an ISP while that paper work is being sorted that all.

Majority of ISP are min 12mnth contracts anyway from what I can see and the better deals seem to be on 18mnth+ ones.

I just looked on the Netvigator site and the deals on there seem pretty poor - I spoke to one of the street salesman for them in near SOGO and he offered me a better deal than the ones advertised on the site - is this always the case?

What sort of deals are people getting price and speedwise?

Not sure how PCCW routes to Europe - HGC goes directly to UK and then onto various EU destinations via Reach as far as I remember.

Some of the lower end ISPs go via the Tokyo and several hops in the US to UK and then onto EU destinations. This includes CrapNet, not sure about PCCW.