Like Tree15Likes

Would any of you buy a smartwatch?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would any of you buy a smartwatch?

Now that Samsung, Sony and a few others are offering one, would you contemplate buying one? Maybe not quite the "Dick Tracy" watch in the comics but something close enough to it. Or would you wait until the technology, products and market mature more?

Nope. Given that a 'smart'watch seems to be a smaller and more limited version of smartphone, and that you have to recharge the batteries every day rather than every couple of years (if ever) compared to a normal watch, I really don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Now that Samsung, Sony and a few others are offering one, would you contemplate buying one? Maybe not quite the "Dick Tracy" watch in the comics but something close enough to it. Or would you wait until the technology, products and market mature more?
    yes, but only when smartwatch matures, Samsung galaxy gear has only 10 hour lifespan for battery, it's pretty powerful for a watch

sony is in it's 3 rd generation, live view and smartwatch was disappointing, hopefully smartwatch 2 will be better as previously it was slow and clumbersome, nfc and 4 day battery is key to it's success,

apple supposedly called iwatch may have potential, ipod nano with various straps is it's track record

but the potential is interesting, ie, see facebook comments, pics, control the mp3 of your phone, control the dialer of your phone to make calls ( via handfree) with phone without taking out of ur pocket, read emails ( probably a bit difficult) or sms should be fine, whatsapp would be nice, general notifications from your phone, basically a nice little slave to it's master phone

Watercooler likes this.

imparanoic:

Your post is the perfect setup for this video.

INXS, Watercooler, emx and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    but the potential is interesting, ie, see facebook comments, pics, control the mp3 of your phone, control the dialer of your phone to make calls ( via handfree) with phone without taking out of ur pocket, read emails ( probably a bit difficult) or sms should be fine, whatsapp would be nice, general notifications from your phone, basically a nice little slave to it's master phone
    Yeah, I think the key is to make it so complimentary with the phone that it will create a need among users to have both. Or to put it more bluntly, for the marketers to create a fashion trend that makes the watch and phone a hip and trendy combination that smartphone users cannot live without. HK loves to follow fashionable trend, so the moment you create that demand, bingo, the buyers will be there. The question of whether you really need a smartphone for practical use then becomes a moot point.

Of course, the question, as always, is how to create such a trend...
    Last edited by Watercooler; 13-09-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    vijucat likes this.

Original Post Deleted

Sadly, yes. The laziness I see around me on a daily basis knows no bounds....

After the watch...there will be one implanted in eyeglasses that you blink at, so you don't have to move your hands at all.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    so become slave to a watch instead.

and how is it more convenient to dial via a watch than it is to dial via a phone that is physically less than 30cm away

I have a Pebble and although not on the same level as the Samsung/Sony offerings, it does the basics such as SMS/call alerts and has potential for a load of other GPS functions.

Battery life is good, probably due to the e-ink display.

http://getpebble.com/ for more info

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    so become slave to a watch instead.

and how is it more convenient to dial via a watch than it is to dial via a phone that is physically less than 30cm away
    Did you not read the part about being able to check Facebook comments on your wrist?!?! Oh My Lady Gaga will somebody please take my money now!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast