Which LCD Full-HD TV to buy?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TERRYS
    So tell me how a larger bevel justifies selling two completely different models?
    See you don't work for the marketing department, the brand new LA46A610 LCD TV features an even thinner slimline display than the current leading LA46A550!

Not sure what the quip about the relative living in China was all about.
    Hong Kong != China

Thank you Mr Moo

Ok, thanks for the further explanation.

When I referred to trying to understand this in Chinese, I meant that I was having challenges trying to speak to the various salesman in Beijing stores about the differences between the two screens. My Chinese is ok, but not good enough to understand the technical terminology (ok, that is my fault as I am in China after all), and half the salespeople don't know the product very well regardless.

Of course HK is part of China... it seems you are sensitive on this point?

Anyway, if anyone knows of any other meaningful difference between the two sets (especially regarding the screen, which I think is somewhat different), I would most grateful for your thoughts. If it is just a cosmetic difference of the appearance, it doesn't seem worth the money.

BTW, I was going to get the 650, but the reflective screen just won't be effective in my viewing room as there is too much light (obviously only during the day).

Gratefully yours, a Beijinger.

Hi Carter,
    Do you have any new thoughts on the best 52 inch LCD TV's in HK - the specs and models are very confusing when trying to make comparisons with overseas set reviews.

Just been to Fortress in HK and they now have the Samsung 52' in the 650 model, which has the 100Mhz capability. All the shops are either heavily discounting the now old F series sets and everything now seems to have built in tuners as well.

I think i will be taking the plunge within the next few days...

Interesting.....they all played dumb (as expected in hindsight if youre looking to clear superseded the F series) when I asked when they were arriving. I ended shipping a 46" Series 6 (656) withbuilt in tuner, 100 MhZ etc etc in from the UK and it works fine apart from the limited HD options where I am (can only get the 4 channels on NOW HDTV and not the terrestial HDTV in Pokfulam yet)...it ended up costing me a bit less than what I would have paid for the equivalent, superseded discounted F series (which had no tuner) even after air freight.

Ah well....managed to get one anyway!

samsungs series 9 is coming. so wait and see

Specifications
    Series 9 950 LED LCD HDTV
    Screen Sizes 46-inch (45.9-inch screen size) / 55-inch (54.6-inch screen size)
    Resolution Full HD 1080p
    Design

* Touch of Color bezel design with charcoal gray accent

Video

* 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
    * 4ms response time
    * LED SmartLighting technology with local dimming
    * Auto Motion Plus 120Hz technology
    * UltraClear Panel
    * Wide Color Enhancer 2
    * DNIe Pro (Digital Natural Imaging engine) technology

Audio

* Down-firing speakers with integrated rear woofer
    * 46-inch: 10-watts per channel, 2 channels

55-inch: 15 watts per channel, 2 channels

* SRS TruSurround XT

Features

* InfoLink RSS for one-touch, on-demand, onscreen access to news, weather, stock info
    * Internal flash memory with pre-loaded Content Library
    * WiseLink Pro (USB 2.0), with MPEG 4, XviD, MP3, JPEG decoders
    * DLNA-CERTIFIED
    * Entertainment mode
    * Built-in NTSC / ATSC / Clear QAM tuners
    * Energy Star compliant

A/V Connections

* 4 HDMI (HDMI-CEC) version 1.3 inputs (3 rear, 1 side)
    * 1 side USB 2.0 port (WiseLink Pro)
    * 2 component inputs
    * 1 composite input
    * 1 S-Video input
    * 1 PC input
    * 1 Headphone jack
    * 1 Ethernet connection (for InfoLink, and DLNA connectivity only)

Estimated Selling Price

* 45.9-inch: USD3,199.99

FYI : Fortress in Tsim sha Tsui offered the Sony 40W400A for 15000 HKD + free hdmi cable + tshirt + 2000 hkd worth of coupon with free delivery. Listed price is 18800 HKD. Not a bad deal it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH
    FYI : Fortress in Tsim sha Tsui offered the Sony 40W400A for 15000 HKD + free hdmi cable + tshirt + 2000 hkd worth of coupon with free delivery. Listed price is 18800 HKD. Not a bad deal it seems to me.
    Any ideas if the Z series would come out soon?

Quote Originally Posted by dbjjenkins
    they all played dumb (as expected in hindsight if youre looking to clear superseded the F series) when I asked when they were arriving.
    You're misunderstanding the Chinese retail psyche, if it's not available it's not important. Two years ago with HDTV across the US and Europe because it wasn't available in Hong Kong no retailer, sales, or even journalist knew about it. Similarly now, try asking about wireless digital picture frames, they are available in the US but not here, and no-one has a clue.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 26-07-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Well chaps, i took the plunge and have my Samsung 52" 650 series due to be delivered on Wednesday this week from CMK in Times Square. They were the only ones who had the item in stock - everyone including Fortress ( with a change of tune i would add !) could only say the next shipment of 650 series 52" would be mid August. Paid HK$43,000 plus swivel wall mount with a 32 inch LCD TV.

We all recognise that we are buying into instantly obsolete technology, and the comment about 950 is a case in point - although not sure if that will be available in HK at that pricing anytime soon. ( Boarder any update there ?)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast