The First Real Online TV Company?

Closed Thread

The First Real Online TV Company?

I have had ideas for online TV stations for the longest time, and it kills me to watch these pathetic companies build up cool sites, that have sooooo many huge drawbacks.

so...since i will never start this venture myself, i give it to you, with hopes that some smart individual will make it a reality:

Step 1: follow any online video site, such as hulu, stage6 (RIP), or whoever.

Step 2: make channels in HD and SD

Step 3: make it subscription based with no ads plus fullscreen, or free with ads

Step 4: make it available WorldWide

Step 5: collect the wealth

im not sure why these companies keep forgetting step 2, 3, and 4. Its like they just go from step 1 to 5, forgetting that you need the meat in order to make it more filling and last longer.

so anyone out there who knows how to make this happen?
    i can help with site design and artistic stuff, but im no coder.

Last edited by BenderLives; 28-05-2008 at 12:45 PM.

I think your main obstacle is 4. Most content owners look to re-coup revenue on a country-by-country basis, so are unwilling to let their content go on-line under global distribution terms.

Also, HD streaming is still in it's infancy. It would be difficult to offer HD globally, and if you could, the investment would be difficult to recoup in anything less than the medium-term.

Check out Joost.

#2: HD requires four times the bandwidth of SD so do the math.
    #4: Media is run by local cartels it is simply not possible to organise world-wide distribution rights.

Last edited by MrMoo; 28-05-2008 at 03:31 PM.

regarding #2 - starting with SD streaming only is fine, and then later upgrade little by little to HD streaming. many sites do this already.

regarding #4 - i dont understand why original producers of shows (for example ABC owns "Lost"), why can't ABC make a contract with this new company to offer these streams WW? then you get CBS, and BBC, and others to follow suit, just like itunes.

joost is great, except most of the shows I want to watch are not visible here in HK. I have to be in the US to watch them. This defeats the purpose, as if i was in the US i wouldnt need an online version of these shows cause i can catch them on the normal boobtube

thats why we basically need a joost player, but when you pay to subscribe, you can have access to WW content. or at the very least, if i pay with a US credit card i should have WW access to my US shows.

Last edited by BenderLives; 28-05-2008 at 03:52 PM.

i should add....this idea is basically to combine all the great aspects of what "could be" in the online TV sector.

so many stations like ABC, CBS, Fox, they all have their own online channels, which is great that they offer this free. BUT...you cant access it when outside the US. If they enabled this, they would increase the # of watchers, therefore increasing their ad revenue and target audience base.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderLives:
    regarding #4 - i dont understand why original producers of shows (for example ABC owns "Lost"), why can't ABC make a contract with this new company to offer these streams WW? then you get CBS, and BBC, and others to follow suit, just like itunes.
    Because they have already signed significant revenue long contracts with Now TV, HKBN, etc, that guarantees more money than having to pull in the end subscriber. Imagine how much money ABC would have to invest in local advertising and promotions when now they spend nothing.

It's similar to the OEM model, the manufacturer sells large numbers of products to wholesalers who sell onto resellers in smaller numbers. This allows quick access to vast distribution networks with minimal financial burden.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 28-05-2008 at 04:06 PM.

BenderLives:

You can access those tv-shows from the us. simply vpn to us and you can have your favourite tv show.

so i am using Hotspot Shield, and I can now access Hulu, but CBS still doesnt work. Havent tried too many others.

Hotspot Shield is a free service, but adds an ad on top of your browser window, and the speed is still a little slow.

is there a better / faster VPN software for mac?
    or do you think upgrading to 30M or 100M PCCW plan would help reduce stutters.

have any friends in .us who still study? you can use their vpn connection then.