computer blocking access to all internet websites that are secured

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

computer blocking access to all internet websites that are secured

my computer is blocking access to all internet connections that are secured. for example, hsbc online banking, s&C online banking, hang seng online banking, yahoo mail, hotmail, msn messenger. it permits all normal connections that are not related to security such as nba, espn, the newspaper, etc.

called netvigator, no help at all. when troubleshooting through msn it says something about key ports. did all the steps about checking firewall as per instructions when error pops up. no change.

any computer savvy folks help much appreciated either by private message or here. thanks.

If you're using Internet Explorer and Windows, download Firefox from Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable and see if that works.

If you're using Safari on Mac, then again, go to the same site.

If that works, then it's most likely a proxy setting you have for HTTPS (secure) urls in your configuration somewhere. If it doesn't ... erm, not sure off the top of my head.

how is the layout of your network?
    what ports you have blocked on your router?

settings

dear sir/ma'am,

it is a personal computer with almost nothing on it. i don't recall setting up anything about a network. it's been working fine the whole year i've been here until last night.

i don't know what a router is. i use a modem. it is a home computer. i reckon some ports have been blocked just by hunch - but i know very little about computers. how would i go about unblocking ports?and is there a place where i can find my router settings?

i've gone through the internet settings & firewall settings. i don't think that is the issue. it's so bizarre - i can serve the all online website all the way to the point where i have to enter userid and passcode and then it can go no further-as if the address was incorrect. any help appreciated.

-or even directions. i don't mind bringing the computer somewhere to get looked at. but my problem with that is that i'm so sure it is a setting issue which can be resolved

is your system clock (date and year especially) set correctly ?

settings

yes sir. it is .

one other possibility is that softpub.dll is not registered correctly. maybe from some botched software installation.

try following the instructions at
    Solving error 80048820 at Fanatic Live

can't really think of anything else ...

thank you very much marcus. i'm at work now. but i'll definately play around with that step by step tonight when i get home. "botched software installation" sounds about right. i downloaded some player mpstar or mcstar or something like that recently.... it's hard to explain. at some point, i couldn't open any folders on my desktop (i.e. double clicking twice on the folder, no response). then i rebooted and it was ok again. thanks again, i'll try tonight

Ah - I'm pretty sure you got tricked into a virus under the pretence of downloading a video player.

NEVER, EVER download something claiming to be a video player or codec from the site that is offering you some, er, attractive, video. They are almost all viruses. If a site says that you need a specific codec then take a note of the name, Google it, check for reports of viruses, and only download it from reputable download sites.

You will need to run a full virus cleanup on your machine. I supect what you have is a win32 virus of some form.

The free virus tools at Kaspersky Lab: Antivirus software or AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Real-time protection against viruses, spyware and malicious websites may enable you to clean yourself up. But if you're not very computer-savvy then you may need professional help.

thanks PDLM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast