Like Tree1Likes

Terminating an I-cable contract takes you through several hells

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Resurrecting this as I cannot believe how much trouble it still is to cancel i-Cable. I can cancel electric, water and gas online - there is no option (that I can find) to do this with i-Cable. I can't even get through on the phone to the correct customer service person, keep getting re-routed and now waiting as "all the English speakers are too busy and will call you back soon".
    See if you can find out who is responsible for corporate communications and contact them direct and complain about the shite service. This has helped me in the past when dealing with these companies.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    they won't. it's not worth the hassle, legal cost and they don't even know what they can recover from you. hence they will not sue you.

i had sent several faxes plus snail mail and never heard from them. stopped paying and never head from them either. i threw away their equipment about 1 year later when i moved apartments.
    Just saw this....i still have 4 months remaining on my current contract, I am ok with paying for 4 remaining months, but I cant be bothered to spend time on phone or going to the shop. If I pay full 4 months and just give the box back to them, should it be a problem?

I finally got through (noone called me back). As we still have several months left the guy suggested finding someone to take over the contract to get us out of having to pay full penalties. So I guess that's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    Just saw this....i still have 4 months remaining on my current contract, I am ok with paying for 4 remaining months, but I cant be bothered to spend time on phone or going to the shop. If I pay full 4 months and just give the box back to them, should it be a problem?
    Just talked to the i-cable guy, he said i can just pay balance 4 months, fill the form and give back the equipment, at the shop directly.

Original Post Deleted
    But since we are probably not staying on (unless we can suspend it for a few months) then we get hit for 10 months. We were aware of this but didn't know it was possible to "transfer" the account to a new person.

Where are you heading to SS?

On tour :/

Terminating HK i-Cable

All, I had many issues where iCable was demanding that I pay for the remainder of the contract period although I was leaving the country. There was no option to have a sensible discussion with them. Obviously, I could have done a runner, but given that I may return to HK, I did not want to have any outstanding demands against my name. So I wrote to iCable INCLUDING Office of the Communications Authority (iCable's regulator). Their stance changed immediately and they called me numerous times to make a sensible offer. By signing a 24 month contract I received a discount on a monthly basis. For the period I used the discount, I repaid the difference. So if you are having issues, this is the way forward (unless you want to show them the finger and do a runner)....

Quote Originally Posted by nehatokyo:
    By signing a 24 month contract I received a discount on a monthly basis. For the period I used the discount, I repaid the difference. So if you are having issues, this is the way forward (unless you want to show them the finger and do a runner)....
    This is where I ended up as well (not leaving the country, but cancelling because they stopped carrying the only channel that I actually watched); obviously if you're more than a few months into the 24 month contract then paying the full rack rate for the months you've used may be more expensive than just paying to the end of the contract at the discounted rate. But the bottom line is that you signed a contract and unless iCable is in breach then you don't really have much bargaining power. This sort of thing is part of the "price" of a mobile expat lifestyle - if you can then get it compensated by whoever is asking you to move countries again as part of the relocation deal.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4