Like Tree1Likes

Terminating an I-cable contract takes you through several hells

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Terminating an I-cable contract takes you through several hells

I am right now in the process to terminate an I-cable contract.
    They can only fax or mail (hardcopy) me the terminatin form which is then valid for a certain period, after which it expires. So I went to the shop. I had to wait there half an hour for the fax to arrive. Then the shop had to fax the form back.
    I called them after that, had to wait about 20 minutes on the phone with constant advertisements until they told me that they have received the form and would call me back if there was any problem. I said I will not be in HK and they should send me an email. - not possible.
    They would call me and in case wait until I am back in HK (Extends the time they can extort the high charges after my promotional contract was finished).

After the promotional period was over, they didn't charge me the higher fare in the first month, they charged 2 months a month later, so that it took me a month more to find out. Pretty clever these guys.

Next I have to return the modem, not to the shop, neither would they tell me the address. "You need to call our sevice hotline (and key youself through the endless menues again) to get the address.

You can say PCCW sucks, but I cable sucks yet in another league. I am pretty ok with PCCW in comparison.

deleteduser

Trust me, PCCW is far worse than that. FAR worse.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Trust me, PCCW is far worse than that. FAR worse.
    So far if I had any issue, I just went to the shop at the next corner and got it solved. Give me some details to be warned.

I concur with the OP. I have had far more problems with CableTV/i-cable than with PCCW. Just finding someone who speaks reasonably understandable English at CableTV is the first problem - with PCCW that's pretty straightforward.

deleteduser

PCCW signs you to contracts without telling you. Of course these are verbal contracts, over the phone. And they won't let you hear them. So your choices are to pay the enforced bill, or take them to court.

Also, they send scammers to your door, and try to trick you into signing contracts. They say they are 'testing' your NowTV, and ask to sign the contract confirming that 'everything works'. What they're really doing is trying to trick you into signing a 1 year contract.

Do a search, there are PLENTY of scams going on. Far worse than the inconvenience of having to fax, wait in stores, etc. What they get away with here would be completely illegal in most countries.

It's illegal here too - PCCW (and most of the other telcos / CATV companies) have been fined by OFTA more than once for bad or misleading selling, advertising or marketing. But obviously not enough to stop them doing it.

See here for the completed cases: OFTA, Office of the Telecommunications Authority, Hong Kong

It needs more people to complain if the telcos are to get the message.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    You can say PCCW sucks, but I cable sucks yet in another league. I am pretty ok with PCCW in comparison.
    I concur with the above statment. PCCW is way better than I-Cable, just returning the box was a major pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    PCCW signs you to contracts without telling you. Of course these are verbal contracts, over the phone. And they won't let you hear them. So your choices are to pay the enforced bill, or take them to court.
    If that happened to me I would handle them in the same way I handled Three a couple of years back, and with three my position was way weaker. I signed a 2G contract and a package to have 50 free minutes to China. Then I got a bill with 1600 HK$ for China calls. I complained that nobody told me that I had to dial 1968 and that it is not my fault if they save the money and emply people who din't speak proper English. It went back and forth for a couple of monts, I just refused to pay and they finally recreditet the charges when I gave them the option to take me to court.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 04-06-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Do you guys have any ideas you're dealing with thugs? I was never rude to any CS reps except those from the telecoms. They really pushed me to the edge. I got a few stories myself but I'm gonna "share" one of those this time.

I was given a year of free subscription to NOW as a bundle to my Netvigator contract. I never watched it and didn't even set it up in fact. The technician was trying to do that for me but I refused. He said to me I could just cancelled the subscription 2 days after the broadband installation (NOT true, I had to stick to it whether I liked it or not). OK, 18 months of suffer was finally over (constant automatic logouts, connection no reponses blah blah). I called them up and discontinued the service. Then they sent someone to pick up the modem and TV box and THEN, I was told that the remote control for the freaking TV box was missing.

I turned my home up side down to look for the damn control. No luck. Talked to my mum and sis, they said they'd never seen such thing in the first place. Fine. I looked in to the plastic bag with all the cables and TV box. They were intact. The protective warp of the batteries which were for the RC was intact, too - where the hell was the RC?!

My sister and I scanned through our memories and realized we weren't even given the RC! Proceeded to talk to the CS, and that was when the hell began. I was put on hold and hold and I still remember the music they put on to ease my impatience. At last, they told me if I couldn't find that piece of shxx, it would cost me HKD 1,200 (huh, WTF?). No way I was gonna pay for that. But they had my credit card number. So I said I needed to talk to your supervisor. They said they weren't available (yeah N/A for a slash).

They promised they would call back to follow up the case. No replies after 2 weeks. Called again and guaranteed to call back 5 working days later. Nope, to stupid to fall for the same trick twice.

I'm not going to type in the rest of the details but my last resort was to say "if I can't get this thing solved tonight, I ain't gonna hang up, dare you hang up on me I will call you every day (ask for a case # first and the CS rep's name it's important)." My tone was calm and firm (hands shaking out of rage though..LOL). They eventually "release" one of their supervisors and voila, 5 mins talk and the "penalty" was waived.

This is not the only story as said before and I know I was bitchy. That's exactly the kind of trait that got me out of several different situations too.

You don't need luck. You need to be consistent to these SOB. (Government here protects the businessmen and that's why HK has been "awarded" the freest economy so many times.)

That's my story and sorry for the swearing, couldn't help it.

I suspect though then when they installed the broadband/NOW you signed a form that confirmed (amongst other things) that you had received the remote control.

One moral of this story is not to sign forms unless you have read them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast