.hk the worlds most dodgy domain - The standard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mr Moo indeed, Macfee should contact all registrars with a monthly report for investigations.

I personally doubt that Macfee can do this better than the registrar themselves if they organise themselves.

Hmmm, reading all this makes me want to rush out and purchase McAffee software!

I bet an increase in sales never even crossed their minds when they placed that piece on the newswires.

Well, perhaps they're better of revealing what hosts the dodgy sites are on ( Company and OS ). I still don't get what a DNR could do .. their job is allowing domain registrations and collecting money and have nothing to do with how you host your site and the content (good or bad) that you have on it.

KIA, stop being thick.

It is simple when you get a pile of registrations from a party all the details are fake, it takes a total moron not to realize there is something wrong. Even when the registrations they are doing are in the hundreds it is easy to detect. They are from overseas, they coming in drobes, realistically something bad is going happen as they are not registering generics, they are registering crap names just to spam with.

HKDNR's latest arse covering is just total crap. At least by now they are starting to grasp that running a registrar is not like having a stall selling oranges, like you think it is KIA. You have to keep an eye on things and sometimes have to turn business away as it is just going to get you into trouble. This woman the other day registered cosco.hk.com and standardchartered.hk.com with us and paid us for 10 years each 2 x HK$1950. Of course we couldn't take her cash like you say we should.

To put it in your terms, registrars need policing in the same way that forums do.

hk.com - really .. not being thick, but I cannot see your point. Ok, perhaps that makes me thick. If it does, humor me and explain to me slowly .. what laws / practices are not being followed by HKDNR?

HKDNR is as far as I can tell in line with country tlds and .com/.net/.org.

It would take a serious entity to pay $250 each for hundreds of domains - something that spammers do not do. Unless there is a discount structure I'm missing out on.

Refusing to register some domains is also tricky, it makes puts you in a position of denying service. Defending trademarks is the job of the trademark holder - NOT the DNR.

Are you suggesting that every application be manually reviewed with global trademark databases etc? Surely not ...

Last edited by KnowItAll; 06-06-2008 at 01:23 PM.

I maybe wrong but don't DNRs have a lot of control over their domain names? Just look at the controversies involving godaddy.com.
    (Go Daddy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I get the impression that hkdnr aren't big on monitoring their own list of domain names.

Ok KIA, I will put it in your context...

Why don't you let anyone just post anything on this site that they like. If you see some fraudster that is going is clearly going to do something bad, you should just sit there and wait for the next guy to click for the next banner?

That is how ICered operated and they had lawyers after lawyer after them, until the point that advertisers didn't advertise on it.

One thing is trademark protection work which you realistically can't do, the other is when you are seeing bulk registrations going through for non-sensical domains, you have to be short sighted to not see that something bad is going to happen. You should do something to protect your business.

Being shortsighted for HKDNR has most likely brought them HK$3.75M

Last edited by hk.com; 06-06-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Just when everyone had forgotten the issue HKDNR tries to set the record clear and does a pretty bad job.

Dear Customer,

We are writing in response to recent media reports on dangerous websites using [email protected][email protected]~Y domain names. We understand that the matter might have got your attention or even caused concern. A media briefing was held on 5th June 2008 and a press release has been issued on this matter. We would like to reiterate the following:

- First of all, the McAfee report claimed to report the situation in 2008 but the data were collected in 2007, hence grossly
    outdated in the fast-moving internet world. While it said that 9.9 million websites have been tested, it is suspected that most of the malicious sites tested several months ago no long exist.

- Secondly, since March 2007, HKIRC has been working closely with Office of the Telecommunications Authority (OFTA), Hong Kong Police and Hong Kong Computer Emergency Response Team Coordination Centre (HKCERT) to monitor and control the situation of suspicious websites using [email protected][email protected]~Y domains.

- Thirdly, HKIRC has also put in place various measures against suspicious websites since 2007. The number of reports on phishing and spamvertising using [email protected][email protected]~Y has decreased substantially from an average of 38 per day in 2007 to 3 per day in 2008 (January to May) [email protected]~S a drop of 92%.

We are also delighted to have the support from the industry and overseas organizations, and [email protected]~Ys what they said about
    [email protected]~Ys effort so far:

- [email protected]~\They (HKIRC) are truly industry leaders when it comes to anti-phishing and anti-spam domain [email protected] These efforts have made .hk one of the VERY SAFEST TLDs in the world at the [email protected]~] [email protected]~S from Rod Rasmussen,

President and CTO,
    Internet Identity

- [email protected]~\.hk domain is continuing to be a value partner in the anti-phishing effort such as the Digital Phishnet project.
    We are happy to learn that .hk has implemented new strategy in supporting Law Enforcement against cybercrime especially various internet frauds. This is a major win for a lot of [email protected]~] - from Anthony Fung, Senior Regional Manager (Asia Pacific), Internet Safety and Anti-Counterfeiting , Microsoft

The fight against internet crime is a never-ending battle. According to a report from e-mail security services provider
    MessageLabs, over 85% of [email protected]~Ys email traffic last month was spam. Internet crime could not be brought down in a day and we will continue to strengthen our efforts. Meanwhile, we would also like to call on the community to be aware of these issues and report any concerns to relevant authorities.

Jonathan Shea

CEO

Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Limited

Jonathan should have shut up instead of reviving the issue. Not sure why he writes as HKIRC, probably to give him some legal protection. If he had come clean and said "we were after the revenue and took the spammers cash" most HK would respect him.

They also today claim that they reduced 92% of HK spam.
    Hong Kong spam and phishing cases down 92 percent annually, says HKDNR

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    - First of all, the McAfee report claimed to report the situation in 2008 but the data were collected in 2007, hence grossly
    outdated in the fast-moving internet world. While it said that 9.9 million websites have been tested, it is suspected that most of the malicious sites tested several months ago no long exist.
    It's really lame the best they can report is a suspected improvement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2