Help with Internet

Closed Thread

Help with Internet

I am attempting to get internet at home that doesn't involve a contract for 18 or 24mths. Does anyone have any suggestions that doesn't involve me paying huge monthly sums of money? PCCW are not being very helpful! Thanks!

Are you able to make any commitment at all (12 months?) or are you looking for none at all?

If none, then you're going to be paying "rack rate" which involves a one time installation charge and, with PCCW at least, you won't get unlimited usage.

I think for PCCW that means $300 installation fee and $198 for a 1.5M connection with 20 hours usage a month. Not sure what the charge is for additional hours.
    Netvigator - Service Plan e

Sorry, forgot to say that a 12month contract is what I'm after.

Most broadband contracts last for at least 18 months plus. So the 12 months contract is not very likely. And what speed do you expect? Does the time limit sound bad to you?

But if you're after something that involves no contract at all, you may wanna give HK Broadband a go. Their broadband page doesn't have an English version (or maybe I missed it). HK Broadband No Contract Plans

Anyway the terms are as follows (in case you can't find the English version either) :
    One-off installation fees HKD 550.
    They've 3 different no contract plans and I think the "BB25" may fit you just well (they connect the optical fiber line right into your PC). Monthly fee for BB25 is HKD 288. The line should be symmetric and you'll get a max 25Mbits/sec download and/or upload speed for local sites and max 20Mbits/sec for overseas sites.

Of course, actual speed depends on your area.

The no-contract promotion seems to expire at the end of this Jun 2008 (I say "seem" because they may just extend it afterwards), you may just call their CS hotline (3498-3498) to check their coverage first. BTW, the BB25 doesn't have download and time limits. Again, check first, I've been burnt by telecoms more than once...LOL

Oh wait, HGC has a PowerCom plan. I used it before for 18 months but the monthly fee was just HKD 100 something (not sure now but usually will only get cheaper) and no installation fees. So if you take the 18 months contract, it's still not a bad option. HGC PowerCom

Basically, if you have a power point on the wall, you can get online. Any power points in your place will do just fine. The thing is, this technology is not available everywhere, you need to talk to another hotline again.....or just email them.

Netfront Internet Services - does 12 month contracts.

This sounds pretty good, I though Netfront had email services only. But everything seems to be DIY. It costs for every single thing you want from them - Get latest ADSL modem from NETfront if you prepay HK$600 (you'll get rebates then) or buy your own modem and pay HK$200 for connection charge. If you need them to do the installation for you it costs $530.......basically pay for what you want/need, well fair enough. If Oz Girl knows a bit of Internet technology, this isn't a bad option! Oh, it says no contract too, but if you cancel it within the first 12 months, you won't get the remaining monthly rebates.

One funny thing, this $228 plan is called Student Plan (so you need to be a student! haha) in English BUT in Chinese, it doesn't have the keyword student and anyone 18+ can apply for the service....the application form names are different but everything is just the same....! What the hell..I don't get it.

Last edited by xxxlionxxx; 12-06-2008 at 10:32 PM.