Like Tree20Likes

ipad or samsung somethin?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

has anyone tried google hangouts as alternative to facetime?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Must be your internet connection or your computers, it has worked flawlessly for years for me.
    last time I have tried it was on 3g home mobile network on my mother's laptop last year, but prior to that it was on nowtv broadband 5 years ago, has it improved under Microsoft ownership ( I note that their msn messenger was once king, then went very flaky over time, now doesn't even exist nowadays)

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    last time I have tried it was on 3g home mobile network on my mother's laptop last year, but prior to that it was on nowtv broadband 5 years ago, has it improved under Microsoft ownership ( I note that their msn messenger was once king, then went very flaky over time, now doesn't even exist nowadays)
    I will test it soon on my solid hkbb connection via phone, tablet and 1st gen i7 computer soob

Get her an ipad. My Dad got one at age 78, we then had t buy one for my mother because it was causing arguments only having one! Skyping on it is a breeze for them. They both have a NZ 3g connection for them through vodaphone.

scrambler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    We use a widescreen camera in top of the TV and skype with family on that.. Much superior to facetime for our needs.
    I had something similar set up with dedicated Dlink home videoconference devices.

I thought it was dead simple, and that the quality was very good. I discovered that the users considered the steps of turning on the TV, selecting the correct input source, then pressing about four buttons on a remote control, were too onerous for the family to use. A bit of a lesson in never to underestimate user resistance to change, or why Apple UI designers are so amazing.

It's also amazing to me that people consider Facetime preferable, when the iDevice is often positioned to give a great view of someone's nostrils or their thumb. But hey, it's dead easy to initiate/receive calls and the callers can wander around their homes while staying on the call. "Simple" trumps "technically good" so often.

I'm going to give a TV-based solution another shot soon and hopefully it gets somewhere this time.

Having used both Android and iOS I prefer iOS.

Had two Sony Xperias and hated it, Sold them both within months. And I'm an avid Sony Fanboy.

TigerSun likes this.

iPad is the best tablet on the market IMO. I have the iPad mini and its a good choice for parents. Just show them how to use facetime or install skype and then you can do video chats or talk for free.

If your MIL is used to Android, you may want to consider the new Kindle 8.9 inch Fire HDX, it has a simplified skin on top of Android, so it is very easy to use. Its a breeze to access content like music, movies, books etc. Perfect for technophobes and parents.

scrambler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    I had something similar set up with dedicated Dlink home videoconference devices.

I thought it was dead simple, and that the quality was very good. I discovered that the users considered the steps of turning on the TV, selecting the correct input source, then pressing about four buttons on a remote control, were too onerous for the family to use. A bit of a lesson in never to underestimate user resistance to change, or why Apple UI designers are so amazing.

It's also amazing to me that people consider Facetime preferable, when the iDevice is often positioned to give a great view of someone's nostrils or their thumb. But hey, it's dead easy to initiate/receive calls and the callers can wander around their homes while staying on the call. "Simple" trumps "technically good" so often.

I'm going to give a TV-based solution another shot soon and hopefully it gets somewhere this time.
    I expect TVs will come with it all built in soon which will mean it is one click on the remote to use. Until then something like Biscotti looked like a good solution, if wildly overpriced. Have not looked for a while though.

Fortunately my Mum's desire to see her grandchildren overcame her natural technophobia

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Having used both Android and iOS I prefer iOS.

Had two Sony Xperias and hated it, Sold them both within months. And I'm an avid Sony Fanboy.
    Sony really can't get it together. Their semi annual results yesterday confirmed they are still in deep trouble.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast