Like Tree20Likes

ipad or samsung somethin?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

ipad or samsung somethin?

MIL is been over - she's brill - saved our bacon... we wanna get her a gift - an shes seen me skypin for the first time an thinks its great...

we want her to stay in touch see the kids etc so thinking to buy her an Ipad... but then again she has a little samsung smart phone.. so perhaps somethin like that but bigger

she doesnt have internet at home - so we need to get somethin with a 3g card ( or what ever - for wellington NZ )

i'm a bit of a techno turd when it comes to phones an ipads ( i bought a new iphone 5 a week b4 the 5s cameout for example )

any one help suggest? cheers

Samsung Galaxy Tab, 7" or 8" or 10", I reckon you should get her the 8" one, not too big, not too small

Nexus 7, awesome device.

vmlinuz likes this.

For the technologically less literate of the older generation, a iPad for sure. I absolutely detest Apple, but would still recommend one for the MIL.

Android devices are more likely to confuse non-enthusiast, older users. Apple devices seem to be designed specifically with older people in mind. I gave one to my parents, who love it. And they are technically more literate than most of their generation.

And something like Facetime is invaluable if you want to keep her in touch with the kid- it is braindead simple compared to something like Skype.

Last edited by jgl; 01-11-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    imparanoic, vijucat and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    For the technologically less literate of the older generation, a iPad for sure. I absolutely detest Apple, but would still recommend one for the MIL.

Android devices are more likely to confuse non-enthusiast, older users. Apple devices seem to be designed specifically with older people in mind. I gave one to my parents, who love it. And they are technically more literate than most of their generation.

And something like Facetime is invaluable if you want to keep her in touch with the kid- it is braindead simple compared to something like Skype.
    I have to say, I got my folks an ipad (as opposed to an N7) for exactly the same reasons.

First of all they said they would never use it. Now they pretty much use it every day to surf the interwebs, check their emails, viber, etc. They hardly bother turning on their computer anymore.
    pandancake likes this.

Yeah, I have stories from friends who bought iPads in the early days, which were subsequently 'adopted' full time by their parents. They are like cocaine for the older generation.

(Much as I f*cking detest Apple... had to say it again.)

Yeah, I have stories from friends who bought iPads in the early days, which were subsequently 'adopted' full time by their parents. They are like cocaine for the older generation.

Well, according to my dad, my mum hogs the ipad, just so she can play candy crush on it.

But one aspect which ipad excels is simplicity, my uncle and aunt who is almost 80 uses one and love it, it's great for older gen so they connect to the world and even facebook, without an ipad, they would never learn how to use facebook or facetime with other people across the world

There are approximately 1 billion people on the planet using Android, on the vast majority of smartphones, and something like 50% of tablets sold - they are not all either geeks, or confused by advanced technology. Drop the 'iPads and iPhones are for normal people' nonsense, please...

some valid points here..

I have no idea about android - but she has a timy samsung phone ( seems to have a few apps on ) she managed to get what's app for instance... but like I say the screen is tiny! maybe 2 by 3 inch?

sooooo if she got that 'sussed' then I guess android/ samsung is more competitive pricing?

i mean its just swiping between screens and then touchin which ever app?

or is configin hardeR?

so she obviously has a data plan with her phone.. think she pay as u go. so she gets another data plan jus for the ipad?

or tries to tether?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast