DSLR for learning

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DSLR for learning

Hiya! I'm gonna have my Photography class soon and I would like to buy a nice but cheap DSLR but I can't decide between Nikon and Canon... Things I want to know: what I should get since I'm just a newbie and where to buy? I was thinking of buying second hands but if there's something better thats good and cheap for starters like me then I might as well buy brand new... Thanks in advance =)

either Nikon or Canon would be fine but one way of choosing is also knowing which brand your friends are using so that you can borrow some of their lens, flash, accessories etc....

But for me i'd Choose Nikon, you can get new ones now for less than $5K either D50 or D60 + little more though while the D40 is fine too but it would only AF with the newer AFS lenses. These come with a starter kit lens of 18-55mm.

try to do a search in the FS section, just type in Nikon or Canon. BTW where is you class held?

HTH

Hi
    I personally started off with a Nikon, pretty comfortable and easy to learn. Not sure about the Cannon items tough. They are meant to be a bit more costlier and also mostly you cannot use the older lenses on the Cannon. But Nikon wants their customer to save their money so they have kept the design of the mount to fit older lenses too. I would suggest you to pick up a D60 as D 50 is not more in existence. D60 has good compatiability with all lenses as against cheaper D40 or D40X. And also felt really good in hands.. so Hope you join the world of Photography. and have a really nice time

In my opinion I'd go for the canon reble XTi. as it has been in the market for some time, it has come down in price. Nikon doesn't offer a camera that is as good until the d40x which is newer and tends to cost more.
    Lenses cost the same roughly, i'd go with aftermarket. They are cheap and preform as well.

canon vs nikon, chocolate vs vanilla

the prices are roughly the same as are the lenses. it comes down to feel and preference really..

don't get hung up so much on brands but worry more about your skills.

photography especially at the amateur level is a lot like golf. beginner golfers often obsess about their golf clubs but neglect their skills..the truth is they won't notice a difference until they get to a much higher skill level.

good luck.

As mengfei above already mentioned, the choice between Nikon and Canon is really a matter of personal preference. If you're on the budget, then the advice of knowing what brand of camera's your friends use will be more beneficial. However, the best way of choosing is really going to a store and deciding what you like best and what camera simply "feels right" in your hands. I made a choice of Nikon when I was first getting into photography (for me the choice at that time was really between Canon Rebel XTi vs. Nikon D80)as the controls felt more convenient for my larger hands on the D80 and it was much better built and offered more bang for the buck than the lighter plastic rebel (Having said that I am a big fan of the new Canon EOS 40D). Bottom line is you should go to a store and try them out!!!

A good article on picking a DSLR:

adrianwarren.com | Technical Travel FAQ | Photography

Go on Stanley Street in Central (by the escalator) and browse around the camera stores there. This is an old Photo district and most of the shops there will be pretty reputable and will give you good advice (I like the shop which has the old Leika sign above it). The prices you will get here will be very slightly higher than Mongkok, but it's the convenience and reputation cost.

To get a rough idea on the prices go here:

Welcome to YG Billy's World of Photography

Some other suggested camera stores around Hong Kong:

Camera stores in Hong Kong - Photo.net photo.net Forum

Great reviews of Cameras can be found here:

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

And of course try out the Hong Kong Photography Club (which i believe was founded by fellow Geoexpat members):

index2

Good Luck and most importantly have fun with whatever you decide to buy!

Generally the difference between Canon and Nikon is that Canon tend to have better sensors (particularly at high ISO) whereas the Nikons tend to have better ergonomics and handling. Six of one, half a dozen of the other really, either will be fine.

Older lenses will work fine on both Canon and Nikon so once you already have a few lenses in that brand people tend to stay with the brand for lense compatability but as the OP is new to photography I guess he/she doesn't have a collection of lenses anyway.

In terms of shops then personally I find that it is worth the extra ten minutes on the MTR to go to Mongkok for the better prices and greater choice. Wing Shing (and most of the shops in that street) are pefectly reputable, as are Kowloon Photo in Yau Ma Tei and Tin Cheung in Tsim Sha Tsui.

If you're just learning, Canon or Nikon will give you quality you won't be able to tell the difference between. Both have pluses and minuses, it depends what type of photos you are taking and what industry you are in. Have you ever noticed how almost every pro at a sporting event is using Canon?

I worked at a photography specialty store in Canada a few years ago and most newbies went with Canon or Nikon, Canon holding a slight edge. Both DSLR brands are really awesome compared to a point and shoot.

If you're interested in buying something a little more advanced I'd be willing to sell my 30D for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:

Some other suggested camera stores around Hong Kong:

Camera stores in Hong Kong - Photo.net photo.net Forum

That was a real blast from the past... an thread from the early internet days that I posted to! Freaky.
    Last edited by jgl; 13-06-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    That was a real blast from the past... an thread from the early internet days that I posted to! Freaky.
    LOL Glad you enjoyed it! I find it amazing that the thread from 1998 is still being posted to 10 years later!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast