Like Tree14Likes

Help choosing a smartphone

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    What do you guys think of the Xiaomi mi3 with snapdragon 800 processor? Will probably be released next month. For 1999 rmb it's very attractive.

they do sell very well. As the phone integrators all use similar technology are we really getting to a point where the only differentiation is the industrial design, build quality and tech support (if any). If that is the case then the Xiaomi mi3 would be a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    What do you guys think of the Xiaomi mi3 with snapdragon 800 processor? Will probably be released next month. For 1999 rmb it's very attractive.
    There are some Chinese manufacturers who are coming out with some very polished high end Android phones now, including Xiaomi, Meizu and Oppo at very competitive prices and some innovative features, including in most cases a timely update to the latest Android versions. One thing missing with all three companies though is the lack of 4G on their phones. Not an issue for the OP, but might be an issue for others considering these companies (and I've looked at them with interest).

However, now that the Moto G and Nexus 5 exist, their prices are just as competitive as the three high end Chinese manufacturers (although I do note the Moto G doesn't include 4G).

Another phone for the OP to consider is the Sony Xperia Z1S (not confirmed yet though).
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Another phone for the OP to consider is the Sony Xperia Z1S (not confirmed yet though).
    sony xperia z1 s is the mini ver of z1 ( not heavily compromised listed under moniker of flagships name but not living up to expectation to the flagship, ie, much slower chipset, less ram, resolution, low res camera, etc) in a smaller form frame

this is a killer of compact screen mobile :-

top of range chipset snapdragon 800 ( same as xperia z1, xperia z ultra, lg g2, galaxy note 3)

2 gig ram

20 megapixel large size camera size ( same size as compact camera pentax q and dsc-wxxx series)

4.3" 720 screen

successor to xperia v and xperia zr ( thus, price at HK$4300 -4688, this will lower shortly like every other phone, apart from iphone)

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_...-news-7173.php

would u consider a windows phone? based on your needs, they are pretty decent. their fragmentation isnt as big of a problem as android.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Would you consider the Moto G? Will be super cheap, under HK$2k. Excellent mid range specs for the price. Will be out within a month or so.

Or else, for the price you can get the Nexus 5. Top range specs, mid range price.

In both cases though, no expandable memory.

In both cases, very close to a pure Android experience as possible.

I think the HTC One is probably the best non Nexus Android phone out there at the moment though. But might be a bit over your budget (however I saw someone advertising a new HTC One on the other site's classifieds for HK$3.5k, which is a bargain for that phone).

However, if you do want a "dumb" smartphone, i.e. something that is easy to use, I would suggest you do have a look at the iphone 5c.
    moto g is excellent phone, great specs ( similar to almost twice the price s4 mini and similar performance), the only problem is appears that Motorola has exited presence in hong kong for mobile phones

there is no mention of any recent mobiles on Motorola hk website (last phone was released in q2 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    moto g is excellent phone, great specs ( similar to almost twice the price s4 mini and similar performance), the only problem is appears that Motorola has exited presence in hong kong for mobile phones

there is no mention of any recent mobiles on Motorola hk website (last phone was released in q2 2012)
    You can buy the Moto G via amazon.co.uk to ship to HK, also when announcing the Moto G, they said that HK would be one of the release markets.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ95ZZ:
    would u consider a windows phone? based on your needs, they are pretty decent. their fragmentation isnt as big of a problem as android.
    ...and in case you drive, the Nokia Navigation works offline and has free maps for 100+ countries.

having owned both windows phone 7 and 8 models I would be sticking with android for now. the platform is just not at a comparable point to either iOS or Androind - that being said it is nice and simple and user friendly just not a comparable in functionality or integration.

imparanoic likes this.

I would recommend the Xiaomi 2S or wait for the new 3 next month. Brilliant phones for the money, very high spec and build quality. Quite a few people at work have them. The website is in Chinese but use Google CHrome to translate it and buying one is no problem.

East_coast likes this.

when i was in Wenzhou last week, I saw quite a few of my fella Chinese Colleagues using a phone called Coolpad, it looked COOL haahaa

When they 1st told me the brand I was like, WTF is a coolpad LOL

Anyone know if its good or not.

My Note 2 doesnt even last a day now so thinking of getting another phone, Moto G sounds nice, might give it a try.