Like Tree14Likes

Help choosing a smartphone

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Original Post Deleted
    it's the laptop (window pc is losing market share anyway) and tv department which is losing money, smartphone is one of the profitable section and increasing

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-...vision_id45938

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I looked at the Mega when my Note was trying to die a few months back. I liked it, but it was not a fast phone (which I need for playing certain online games LOL). If you are looking for large screen, good functionality but not too worried about super fast response, I'd say it would be a good choice.
    I do like a game or 2 - what game were you playing and what did you end up buying instead?

FYI the missus upgraded her Note 1 to the Note 3. She is very happy with it. Super fast, excellent quality screen (note, The Brit will find this important) and updated software. Only problem is they only sell the 16GB model in HK, but you can stick a micro SD card in it.

However, may be out of your budget. Can probably get it for around HK$5k at the moment.

Original Post Deleted
    htc has not had a successful product since sensation (2011) and the original nexus (2010), wasting their money on beats audio ( which is not cashcow now), their products have severely missed sales and most of the executive are jumping ship to form kazam.

blackberry is almost dead from mismanagement.
    Last edited by imparanoic; 18-11-2013 at 09:43 AM.

The big difference with Sony is that their current cycle is their first since emerging from the Sony-Ericsson JV. It took them some time to find their feet but I think their current stuff is actually really good - they've managed to make the waterproof thing into a genuine selling point, and I like the thin-slab design style they've got going.

HTC, on the other hand, have excellent flagship products - the One X was really good, and the One* is excellent, and whenever I've dealt with HTC people, in HK or the US, I've found they're open and helpful - but they just don't seem to be able to compete in the marketplace. Whether it's Samsung and Apple's marketing budget/muscle, or HTCs own bad messaging, things aren't looking great for them right now. Which is a pity...

* Disclaimer: I was given a One by HTC, but I was planning to buy one anyway.

imparanoic likes this.

basically, the fact that most manufacturers have unique selling point which will probably erode the two horse race leaders, thus, I can only see the market becoming even more competitive which is better for the consumers

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    basically, the fact that most manufacturers have unique selling point which will probably erode the two horse race leaders, thus, I can only see the market becoming even more competitive which is better for the consumers
    I really think the new breed of high end Chinese manufacturers (Xiaomi, Meizu, Oppo) are really going to give the established players (Apple, Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola, etc) a run for their money in the next few years, esp in China which is a market everyone wants to be a part of.

One thing they will need to sort out though is getting LTE on their phones.
    Last edited by pin; 18-11-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    FYI the missus upgraded her Note 1 to the Note 3. She is very happy with it. Super fast, excellent quality screen (note, The Brit will find this important) and updated software. Only problem is they only sell the 16GB model in HK, but you can stick a micro SD card in it.

However, may be out of your budget. Can probably get it for around HK$5k at the moment.
    I did look at that but at almost double the price of the Mega, its a bit hard to justify for my needs.

I seen this yesterday, xperia c pretty decent lower mid ranger for HK$2100 for a 5" 940 x 560 and similar mid ranger performance to mega 6.3

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5