Like Tree2Likes

Bitcoin

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Some-Fool-Threw-Away-a-Hard-Drive-with-7-5-Million-of-Bitcoin-On-It

i wasnt researching or anything, just saw this on my google currets feed...

You guys see this story yet? Supposedly, Newsweek has tracked down the founder of BitCoin.

Creative83 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    You guys see this story yet? Supposedly, Newsweek has tracked down the founder of BitCoin.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    The comments are more interesting than the article. which has clearly gone too far, although they seem to have removed the photo identifying his house.

I don't get this intense need to know that leads the press to conduct a witch-hunt like this. Totally wrong IMHO. This guy isn't a mass murderer, there is no public right to know. He was just some guy that may or may not have written some code, and who clearly wished to remain anonymous.

Doxxing . . . even supposedly legit media is getting in on it.

About doxxing . . .
    . . . “doxxing,” [is] the act of obtaining and posting private information about a person by scouring the Internet. And it’s surprisingly easy to do. In many cases, it’s not even illegal.

“You can post it as long as there is nothing nefarious about it,” says LAPD cyber crimes detective Andrew Kleinick. “They are public figures and that kind of thing happens. It’s not right, [but] I know of no crime.”

“doxxing,” [is] the act of obtaining and posting private information about a person by scouring the Internet. And it’s surprisingly easy to do. In many cases, it’s not even illegal."

Its not illegal because 99% of the time, the person put the information out there themselves. The fact that it took a few google searches to find it and highlight it should not turn it into a crime.

Who is talking about a crime? There are many things that aren't against the law that aren't morally right. Hounding some poor guy who may or may not have written some lines of code, just so some paper can claim the scoop 'We found the Bitcoin founder' is not morally right IMHO.