Good Compact Digital Camera?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I recommend Fuji. Especially if your taking photos of people or scenery. The Fuji will render very well in low light. The movie-mode will save as an AVI-file. I hate to sound like a fan-boy (both of my cameras are Fuji) but I think Fuji is a better camera for what you have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by barleycorn:
    The Fuji will render very well in low light.
    Apart from the highly subjective comment Wikipedia seems to agree, even though highly sales orientated view point, interesting ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia:
    The Fujifilm FinePix F-series of digital cameras models which have been called "revolutionary"[1] in terms of low-light performance in the compact class. Due to low image noise and good color even at very high ISO settings from Fujifilm's Super CCD sensor, the F-series cameras were the first compact cameras able to consistently take pictures in low light that could be considered "printable". Previously, the consumer digital camera market had not particularly targeted high speed or low light shooting without flash except through image stabilization technology,

Saw another website (I think trustedreviews.com ) where the Fuji camera being reviewed was labeled as the best party camera.

Wing Shing Photo and Man Shing Photo in Mongkok are pretty decent. It's the only place I've ever actually recieved 'decent' service.

Canon will beat any compact camera hands down overall. I used to sell and test compacts and Canon beat up on every other brand in every low-light test we did. They are the fastest by a HUGE margin. Start up time, etc.

Nikon has slowly declined, Panasonic is a laugh, Fuji -Casio etc. etc. are all junk.

Sure Canon is the biggest company and can buy good reviews with all their money, but they can also buy better technology than every other manufacturer.

Anything with a Digic III processor will kick***

Two other websites that you might want to look at are: (letsgodigital) and (dpreview). ...Canons are nice cameras by the way. They use the CMOS(faster) and CCD(for compacts) sensors, whereas the Fuji uses the Super CCD VIII HR (truer image/more efficient gathering of light). ....I'll keep my Fuji cameras, thank you.

Knowitall,
    I'm curious as to if you have made a purchase yet and if so what did you go with? How about a review as I am also looking to buy a new digital camera.
    Kman

Previous posters are right in that compact digital cameras will generally have poor low light performance (compared to DSLRs for example). It is pretty much an inherent feature of small sensor cameras that at high ISOs they tend to have a lot of noise and this is exacerbated by the higher megapixel counts now being offered on the same small sensors.

That said, relatively speaking, the Fuji compact camera range used to have a better reputation for higher ISO (low light) performance than other compact cameras. I'm not sure if this is still true or whether other compact camera manufacturers have caught up. A quick check of recent reviews on dpreview should confirm this, the reviews usually contain details of camera performance at all ISOs.

If you are taking pictures of moving objects (ie people) in low light then good performance at high ISO (and a fast lens) are of more benefit to you than an image stabiliser function.

If you really want to do low light well then you need to look at a larger sensor camera like a DSLR, preferably with a fast lens attached. But of course this would mean carrying a bigger camera.

Last edited by dipper; 21-07-2008 at 04:56 PM.

been exporting digital cameras since 4 years now...would recommend Canon to everyone...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2