Buy External CCTV cameras - Urgent

Buy External CCTV cameras - Urgent

Have been quoted on the following
    Microview External PTZ camera
    LiLin Fixed Camera with External housing
    DiSS 16 Channel DVR c/w 1000GB HDD

BUT- I think the prices are high and would like to understand the prices on these ( or Like ) items.

Can anyone help or give a place to do some comparison shopping.

The DVR unit makes security systems very expensive, they are proprietary low-production boxes.

The popular alternative is a Windows XP desktop and IP cameras.

Thanks for this but I would prefer comments that is relevant to what I have been quoted and relevant alternatives. IP cameras ARE NOT suitable in this application but having a large hard disk storage on a computer is but I thing a 1000gb is a bit large as the disk can be overwritten daily.

What's a suitable size ?

why aren't IP cameras suitable?

The Sony NSR-100 should be able to make the IP the cameras do what ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    IP cameras ARE NOT suitable in this application
    So state in your OP, no need to get so uppity.

The size of storage depends on how long you want to record footage for, and whether the security system will allow you to change the settings. Frame rate, colour, motion capture, etc.

Closed-circuit television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Suffolk Police department
    The period of retention may vary according to the stated purpose of your system. A seven-day period may be sufficient for licensed premises, town centres require a 31-day period, and surveillance of ATMs, banks and fraud inquiries may require a three-month retention period. Tapes must be retained securely, and again, the period of retention must fit the stated purpose of your system.

I want NO computer issues relevant to my security system. IP and windows stuff off a PC may be " lower cost " but is is by no means as safe as " old school " hard wired and stand alone non interferable.

The NSR is a digtal recorder so if that can be hooked up to the system OK but its cost dependant. For me just to back it up to a suitable ext HDD would be OK ( isn't that what a NSR is really but has lots of buttons to higher the cost ) . It will be overwritten every 24 hrs

Mr Moo - not getting " uppity " . Just making it clearer than the OP.
    I did state - like items, not " cheaper alternatives "

In regard of the other part. I did say it can be overwritten daily.

Check Ebay / US markets...

The second link led to another link to pre designed systems - so thank you. Just shows the guys giving the quote to me before are thinking " Stupid Gweilio " 6 figure quote for what the US company is offering in the very low five figures.

OK tech spec not EXACTLY the same but gives me hope to get to SSP and find a high spec solution for the same money - or lower.

Anyone can save me some time with a good source in SSP ?