Microsoft Update KB951748

Closed Thread

Microsoft Update KB951748

This is the latest update designed to address the DNS vulnerability that has been widely reported in recent days.

Unfortunately, for me it seems that installing this update essentially stops my Netvigator connectivity from working (not entirely, but almost - I might get one page down after a full reset but then nothing).

I've uninstalled it from my machines at home and everything is fine again.

Is anyone else having the same problem or is it something specific to my setup (two XP SP2 machines running through a Linksys WRT54G wireless router)?

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft:
    How to obtain help and support for this security update

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft International Support Web site:
    Please Verify your Location
    MS08-037: Description of the security update for DNS in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows 2000 Server (client side): July 8, 2008

And ...

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft:
    Known issues with this security update
    Issue with ZoneAlarm

After you install this security update on a Windows XP-based computer or on a Windows 2000-based computer that is running ZoneAlarm, you may be unable to connect to the Internet.

Note This issue does not affect Windows Vista-based computers.

For more information about how to resolve this issue, visit the following ZoneAlarm Web site:
    Microsoft Update KB951748 - Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem
    Last edited by MrMoo; 12-07-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks, but the issue was affecting a machine without ZoneAlarm.

In any case, it seems that XP3 and then reinstalling the update works OK.