8.5" Dell Netbook

8.5" Dell Netbook

This looks like a sweet little machine:
    More details on Dell's summer-bound netbook - Engadget

Theres one fatal flaw with it though.

Its a Dell

The acer aspire one is a nice piece of kit and also the msi wind etc.

Can't pin down the exact reason why but I just can't stand Dell, Maybe because its cheap, It has no style.

I spent $15,000 on a Dell E1705 that burned out in two years. Needs a new motherboard. Dell were hit with a class action lawsuit because of the 9400/E1705 laptops. I'll never buy a Dell again.

I sympathize, I've a dell desktop bought in Jan. and so far so good (they did have to replace the video card).
    I used to be 'brand loyal' but I've learned my lesson. Its seems that even big brands have sh*t models. I've thrown out a Nikon coolpix S3 camera (100's with same shutter problem - no support), a Casio camera (a botched service issue); and a Toshiba laptop that had a fundamental flaw with overheating and crashing due to a fan design problem - again hundreds of people online, same problem, no support, no fix. (Not to mention the Vista fiasco).
    Brands have no credibility anymore, just good particular models.

Last edited by TigerSun; 16-07-2008 at 01:19 PM.

My old Dell laptop lasted me five years. Did have to get fixed once though.

My parents have a Dell desktop, never had any problems with it, its 4 years old.

However my Asus laptop (a company which is supposed to have good built quality) has had to be taken in around 10 times in the past two years, go go figure.

BTW I have the Asus eee 701, which is a nice little piece of kit.

Yeah, it does appear to be a model-specific problem. We (as a family) have owned around 6 Dells. The newer ones seem to be more problematic.

Dells we use in the office and have been fine so far, although I have never been a Dell fan. Have an M65 Precision laptop which comes with a standard 512Mb Nvidia Quadro card which is great for 3D apps. Mine is 18 months old and another 2 1/2 years old and run fine. Heavy beasts though at over 5Kg. Personally I have a Fujitsu laptop which I bought mainly due to it's weight (1.7kg) which has been great although expensive when new.