Buy laptop in US or in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buy laptop in US or in HK?

A little advice please...

I am moving to HK soon and need a new laptop. Should I buy it in the states or are the prices better in HK?

thanks

For something like a Dell US is cheaper, for a gamer laptop I think you cannot even buy them in HK. In HK you can buy very cheap laptops due to their limited feature set: no wireless, bluetooth, accelerated graphics, large cell batteries, high resolution screen, or light weight. Branded computers are generally more expensive due to supply & demand, ordering online in the US gets you better deals. The street prices are possibly lower than retail US because of taxes.

Currently notebooks are quite popular and they are available here faster and more abundant than elsewhere. Pricing is similar everywhere.

Last edited by MrMoo; 22-07-2008 at 10:39 AM.

A few things to consider.

How long do you plan on staying in HK for? is this just a trip or long term.

Secondly Do you like peace of mind with warrenties?

Consider a lot manufactures do not carry their warrenties worldwide anymore, do to bottom line requirements in the struggling economies. Ie Sony HK, loses money, of repairing a laptop purchased from the US.

Prices are cheaper on the street, but don't think you can save LOTS! demand is high here.

Not checked this in a while, but I have in the past found that Sony and Toshiba notebooks tend to be cheaper in the US than HK. Specially if you avail of store discounts / mail in rebates etc (which are pretty much non existent in hk)

My opinion would be that you should buy the laptop in the US. Although I've found desktop components to be about the same price in the US and HK, notebook computers are usually at least USD200 more expensive than the US. However for me I usually purchase laptops online using coupons with instant savings, so perhaps US and HK retail would be more or less the same. If you do purchase online, make sure you allow enough time for delivery, which could range anywhere from 1-4 weeks. Since you are leaving soon, I don't know if you would have enough time to wait for laptop to be delivered before you leave. If you end up having to buy a laptop in Hong Kong, make sure that find one that comes with an English version OS, as most are in Chinese.

joechu

All new laptops barring the umpc's are pretty much Vista thus it makes no difference as the store will set it up for you in english anyway.

Let's look at purchasing your notebook computer at a different angle: warranty and maintenance.
    If you get something that doesn't come with a international multi-year warrany and repair shop conviniently located in the city, when it breaks down headache ensures.

warranty issues

Get a brand that has a presence back in the states if you're that worried.

Also as regards to discounts well from Fortress and Broadway they usually have offers where if you pay by a certain dredit card then you can get about $1000 hk off the price etc.

Samsung seem to be discounting at the moment as well as I was in the computer centre this afternoon and noticed some very good prices there. Shame I only bought my LG a few weeks ago.

I think the price difference is minimal. The biggest problem is the local warranty company stinks. I had 2 notebooks that was warranted by Cavalier. Just assume your notebook doesnt come with any warranty if you buy it in Hong Kong.

lulumay

Chevalier by any chance? The ones that do Toshiba?

Some of them aren't too bad, I had my Benq laptop fixed a couple of times once in HK and once in UK and can't fault the warranty company at all.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast