Blackberry IMAP

Closed Thread

Blackberry IMAP

Do any of you blackberry owners use your phones to check IMAP mail. Can I use a blackberry as an IMAP only client? (No need for blackberry mail).

Looks like I have to replace my Nokia E61 and seem to see a lot of second hand blackberries in the market for reasonable cost.

So, am right in assuming that blackberry does not support IMAP out of the box?

Googling for "blackberry imap" leads to gmail instructions for doing things like that...

vmlinuz : thats what I'd originally looked at, but then I saw a few pages which said something about configuring Blackberry Internet Service using their backend. So was not sure if this is proxying through the blackberry servers or not.

Not quite on topic, but I purchased a blackberry intending to use it as a phone and to get onto internet but without blackberry service. After extensive reasearch gave up, blackberries are fantastic when connected to a blackberry service. Otherwise they are expensive bricks. The phone worked but nothing else. No internet, not even WAP would work.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 27-07-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added a line

we have quite a few users running IMAP / blackberries with our service.

Never heard any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    we have quite a few users running IMAP / blackberries with our service.

Never heard any issues.
    But do you have a blackberry service? I got the impression the OP wanted to use a blackberry without a blackberry service, but I could be wrong.

I can provide a full blackberry service to customers if I buy the licenses. Right now I don't have 2000 blackberry users which is what we would have to provider full over the air syncrhonization.

Right now we can provide full IMAP service to handset that has got GPRS, from my understanding you don't have to sign up to a blackberry network.

Knew there would be a sales pitch moment I posted something about an email service...

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Knew there would be a sales pitch moment I posted something about an email service...
    Even though it was a sales pitch I can vouch for their service. It works !!