extending wi-fi range

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    And Elle, yes reinforced steel bar ( or horizontal/vertical mesh grating ) internal walls, can definitely reduce signal performance by a fair amount.
    Agree totally.
    My mobile will not work inside my house. Its like living in a Faraday cage or an NSA / CIA quiet room.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You might want to do some more reading on this...
    I think he saw the Panorama documentary on Wifi but didn't see the upheld complaints following it's broadcast.

BBC - Press Office - Panorama: Wi-Fi
    BBC NEWS | UK | Panorama wi-fi complaints upheld

Summary for the scaremongers:

As far as possible interactions with the human body go, the 900 MHz to 1900 MHz spectrum is roughly the same. Both WiFi and cell phones use bursts of transmissions with approximately the same spectral characteristics. So we can simplify the problem and focus only on intensity.

A cell phone that is far from the nearest tower can transmit up to one watt. A typical home router transmits 100 mW (one tenth of a cell phone). A very powerful cell tower transmits 1000 W. However, signal intensity per surface unit decreases as the square of the distance. So if you are 100 meters (300 feet, one-half furlong for our US friends) from a 1-kW cell tower, you get the same exposure as if you are one metter (0.005 furlong, 3 ft) from a wifi router. And of course, all of this is dwarfed by the intensity of signal you get a few centimeters away from a 1-W cell phone.

So test cell phones. If they don't fry your brain, forget about wifi routers and towers, their effect is negligeable next to a cell phone's signal flux. And cell phones were innocented by several studies.

Good stuff Mr Moo.

Still personally I'd rather not have one of those around, particularly the extended range ones which maybe just as having a mobile phone running 24 hours a day.

The Panorama program was really badly done and a total diservice to the whole issue.

Last edited by hk.com; 29-07-2008 at 06:51 PM.

" A cell phone that is far from the nearest tower can transmit up to one watt. A typical home router transmits 100 mW (one tenth of a cell phone). A very powerful cell tower transmits 1000 W. However, signal intensity per surface unit decreases as the square of the distance. So if you are 100 meters (300 feet, one-half furlong for our US friends) from a 1-kW cell tower, you get the same exposure as if you are one metter (0.005 furlong, 3 ft) from a wifi router. And of course, all of this is dwarfed by the intensity of signal you get a few centimeters away from a 1-W cell phone. "

Well done HK.com -- I rest my case and the hippies will be on their wind powered buses back home.
    " A cell phone that is far from the nearest tower can transmit up to one watt. " Those anti mobile people always remember to forget the meaning of the words outlined in bold. An inconvenient truth ?

Also if you look at the ACTUAL figures in the GOOD research far and up to never really have a chance to approach anything like a worrisome level. I remember this point quite well, even though 5 yrs ago and my brain cells dying like lemmings going over a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH:
    hey,

before you get the airport express out of the box, maybe you can try the following.

Lifehacker Top 10: Top 10 Wi-Fi Boosts, Tweaks and Apps

and

Boost Your Wireless Signal With a Homemade Wifi Extender | Lifehacker Australia

Sounds a bit do it yourself ish, but the right tweaks can seriously improve your signal. might be usefull for you... good luck

(and if you are not tech savy, you could simply get the airport extreme and use the airport express as an extender. With your mac, this should be fairly easy to setup.)
    Thanks for the tip, I will try those and see what happends...seems easy...well not that easy but not hard to do.