Ubuntu

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Anyone know how I can do this......?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

I run openSUSE dual boot on my laptop and on on a desktop.

Be careful installing Windows after Linux - it tends to blow away the boot loader.

its usually windows then linux if you want the easier way...

read about GRUB if want the other way around...
    GNU GRUB - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Yeah, actually everything I have read seems to point to Windows first and then Linux. Shame, got a nice new server here with software set to run on Linux but underused and wanted to use the server for something else. Look like may have to bite bullet and start again! Thanks all

jaykay : might want to look at VMWare's ESXi Hypervisor ... ( VMware ESXi Hypervisor Now Free - VMware)

Yeah, actually everything I have read seems to point to Windows first and then Linux. Shame, got a nice new server here with software set to run on Linux but underused and wanted to use the server for something else. Look like may have to bite bullet and start again! Thanks all
    Just install Windows on an empty partition if you have one. It WILL wipe the boot loader but you can restore it by booting into the rescue disk / install disk.

If you want no hassles, make the rescue disk before you start the Win installation.

I could be missing something here, but why would you run a server as dual boot? Normally, severs are always on systems, so a dual boot server seems a bit of a waste?

As per KIA's suggestion, you could install VMware ESXi and run multiple virtualised instances simultaneously. VMware is very sweet. And as per someone else, there is no need to blow away the Linux installation, simply install Windows and reinstall the bootloader (grub normally) using a Linux rescue disk. If you don't have free space into which to install Windows you could use gparted to resize your existing partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnye:
    I could be missing something here, but why would you run a server as dual boot? Normally, severs are always on systems, so a dual boot server seems a bit of a waste
    Well we want to have the option of running the software again in the future (and we don't have the experience to set it up in Linux), but for now we really want to use Windows. Just a kinda options thing...!

Well we want to have the option of running the software again in the future (and we don't have the experience to set it up in Linux), but for now we really want to use Windows. Just a kinda options thing...!
    Backup the current HDDs to tape or simply buy new ones and store the old ones if you cannot be bothered with dual boot.

Slack seems an unusual choice for a new Linux users (apologies if you're not). I wouldn't worry too much about blowing away the Linux installation (unless there is important data there of course ...). Linux is pretty straightforward to install.

You could always install VMware Server on the Windows installation and 'play around' with Linux that way before deciding to reinstall Linux on the bare metal.