Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By HowardCoombs
  • 1 Post By huja
  • 1 Post By Creative83
  • 1 Post By Fleetingly
  • 1 Post By mj12albert

Adobe Digital Editions - rant

Adobe Digital Editions - rant

This is mainly a rant because I don't think anyone can help... but all ideas appreciated!

/start rant

I have several books (cicerone hiking guides for the Swiss Alps) which are Adobe Digital Editions protected PDF's. Which means I have to install ADE on my mac to read them on a computer and authorise each ereader that I read them on (from the other threads you'll know I've purchased a Kobo that I pick up this evening).

So I realised while trying to authorise my Note (as a backup) that my Adobe ID is still linked to an old (inactive) email address so I tried to find out what to do.

Yesterday I could do nothing, because the entire Adobe help site was down all day.. which a nice message to come back tomorrow if you have a problem.

So today I go online. I have my userid (the old email address) and I have the password and the help information says I just have to log in and change the details. Fine.

So I try to log in - it accepts my password but then says I have been inactive for too long and "for security reasons" it's going to send an email to the email address to reset the password. Which of course I cannot get because the email address is inactive.

So then it tells me I have to contact customer support via online chat, which I do. I spend about an hour with Vadi, who takes about 2 minutes to reply to everything I type (how many people is she dealing with at the same time?) and after going around in circles for some time, she tells me that she's asked for my email address to be reset and it will take 3 days.

WHAT! I'm off on holiday shortly and need to set up the new ereader before I go!

So then I try the phone support to see if they can sort it out. Nope -phone support just say the easiest thing to do is get a new Adobe ID ... as though losing the 10 or so books I already own, including the hiking guide for the specific hike we are doing, is nothing important! The guy (clearly in India, again, probably sat next to the guy from Orange who drove me crazy earlier this week) obviously has no idea what you use an Adobe ID for in digital editions. Still, at least they speak somewhat comprehensible English!

/end rant

Anyway - so now I've emailed cicerone to see if I can transfer my books to a new ID. I hope so. It seems to be the only solution now, but I don't think that's normal - I think you have to buy a new one, which may mean the only solution in the time available is to buy a second copy of my book and not have any of the other ones available if bad weather means we want to move to a different part of the Alps

Really frustrating.

Anyone else come across similar problems and found any other innovative solutions?

Thank you for reminding why I carry a paper map when hiking.

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetingly:
    Thank you for reminding why I carry a paper map when hiking.
    The map is different. The guide book lists hotel s and refuges with phone numbers etc.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GeoClicks mobile app

It's like I'm reading a story of HSBC vs its customers.

HK_Katherine likes this.

This 2 year old article belongs here :
    http://www.wired.com/2012/10/amazons...perils-of-drm/
    The publisher or the deliverer can easy screw you when dealing with digital content.
    Buyer beware, especially buyers in foreign lands...

huja and HK_Katherine like this.

DRM (digital rights management) only seems to inconvenience those who do the right thing and buy the media rather than download pirated versions. Media companies have to rethink policies that punish the honest and reward the freeloaders.

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    DRM (digital rights management) only seems to inconvenience those who do the right thing and buy the media rather than download pirated versions. Media companies have to rethink policies that punish the honest and reward the freeloaders.
    It had never occurred to me to get an unlicensed copy of my book. But your comment has inspired the thought that this might indeed be the correct answer! If technically possible of course (which may require more technical savvy than I possess!).

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    It had never occurred to me to get an unlicensed copy of my book.
    A “less illegal” way of preventing this would be to strip the DRM from all the ebooks you buy. If you Google around, you'll find it's pretty easy for PDFs and epubs.

I started doing this with all the ebooks I buy (most of the time they're epubs from Kobo with Adobe DRM) after a similarly frustrating experience with Adobe Digital Editions.
    HK_Katherine likes this.