Local TV - How do I get it?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

just an FYI for those who thought TVB Jade is exclusively in Chinese...there is English audio avail. for the Olympic broadcast through NICAM, and I feel the announcers are better than the tw@ts on Pearl, plus Jade is often showing a different feed than Pearl, so better chance of seeing what you want to see (as long as it involves Chinese/HK athletes with a good chance of medalling)

Last edited by timklip; 14-08-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Well after trying out an old TV (approx 12 yrs old, very small, but basic 'old' technology that I understand!) which we had not been using and a different aerial socket in another room (this is WHY we live on a boat! we have space!) I have now managed to tune into 4 channels - 3 of which are in chinese (two with what looks like an "a" sign and one with a stripy ball and one (pearl) in english). Is this what I should have? Am I missing any? I did a full auto-tune so I suspect if there are others I might not have a signal. the english one is good quality (well, except for the commentary - I SO get what you all mean now!) while the other three are abit fuzzy so I clearly do not have the best reception here.

If one of the ones with the "A" also says "World", then that is actually primarily an English channel, but it does have Putonghua programming at certain hours. And ATV World + TVB Pearl are the only two English language broadcast channels.

Thanks. I have seen the "a-world" at the gym and wondered how to get it - but I do not think this is what I have as I have not heard any english on it yet. Oh well. At least I have one channel and I can watch some of the action in chinese too even if it's abit hard to follow who's winning!

if your "old" tv has NICAM function, you can get English commentary (for the Olympics) on the chinese 'stripy ball' channel (TVB Jade). Look for an 'A/B' or 'II' button on your remote...press it repeatedly to toggle through the different language settings (provided your tv is not TOO old)

great idea - i tried every button but no joy. it is very old!

does anyone know what impacts the quality of the reception? this morning the english Pearl was great - now it's terrible! Is it wind direction or something? Anything I can do about it?

Did someone park another boat between you and wherever you antenna is pointing? Or did your boat simply swing round with the tide? TV antennas are highly directional they have to be pointing directly at the TV transmitter.

No - we are quite stationary and nothing seems to have moved around us - interestingly it was only the english Pearl that got worse, the chinese channels if anything got better! So it could have been a slight change in antenna direction due to wind etc. The boat can move maybe one or two degrees, but not much more.

Are you sharing the antenna with anyone else?