Local TV - How do I get it?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

classic posts !

This is all good stuff -love to hear about the (mainly ) boys playing with toys and solving HK DIY problems...
    despite the sneering posters -why do people bag those trying to adjust to the strange world of HK utilities and 'services' (ha !)
    Don't you just love it when you have a problem (bi monthly) with your NOW reception ;the NOW technicians, half a dozen at a time -driving a sewing machine sized van , kids - really they must be about 12 years old ,who kick off their shoes at the door , stare at the funny Westerner decor ,and (eyes rolling in distress at the dog in the corner ) start twiddling with things and whispering in Canto. Then -hey presto usually fixed in seconds -best thing about NOW-the techies-
    I sacked NOW finally and actually won the battle to get them to agree to end our marriage of convenience at the end of the contract despite running it on anyway and then trying to charge me...
    I don't get free to air where I live and have to check the computer for weather alerts...only have satellite -which is fraught with its own little quirks -bugs out when there is a rainstorm when you want tv because you are cooped up inside -but thats HK really -nothing works ,really, really properly but they try -its touching at times...anyway my tv viewing is ad free which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss P
    This is all good stuff -love to hear about the (mainly ) boys playing with toys and solving HK DIY problems...
    Just in case I didn't make it clear... i am NOT one of the boys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Just in case I didn't make it clear... i am NOT one of the boys!!!!
    got it -thats why I used the word 'mainly'!

Yep. I reckon the lady in the shop was abit surprised to be seeing the plump gweilo in a pink dress discussing coaxial cable (and believe me, before today i did not know what coaxial cable was) ... let alone my neighbours in the marina watching the pink dress flying around in the breeze while I climbed up the side of the boat trying to trace the cable....!!!

I've got to say that NowTV is pretty poor IMO. The only reason I've kept it is to watch football.

Nearly all the programs on Discovery are really old (ie 2001, 2002) and repeated endlessly. The movie packages are a total joke, they edit out any nudity or swearing but they show someone getting shot in the head at lunchtime! Even the HBO channel that you have to put your PIN number in edits the movies! What's that all about?

I recommend a slingbox for anyone who has access to tv abroad, or failing that get your tv via the torrent networks.

completely agree and I have had to watch the Olympics through slingbox as the commentators are AWFUL on Pearl.

NOW really is horrible and I feel like I watch the same 8 channels over and over again.

What is ' torrent' and 'slingbox' please ? I recommend satellite- is that the same thing ? duh....

prob with sports torrents is you need to avoid knowing the result until the torrent is available, at least i do...i can't watch an event if i already know the outcome....can be difficult with the blanket oly. coverage

edx

I can get 30 meters of unshielded cable from my antenna input, split 3 times - once to go to an i-cable box sitting 1 meter away, then a long unshielded cable to my PC where I split it again, one input to the digital and one to the analogue. The digital works fine, but even without splitting I can't find the analogue signal anymore. No matter, the digital carries the analogue.

After experimenting with wireless, I'd advise you to save your money and run long wires along the wall. Signal degradation in a 30 meter hard-wire is better negligible, whereas wireless is so noisy as to be useless, at least in a high-rise.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6