Local TV - How do I get it?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Local TV - How do I get it?

I currently have NOW tv and of course, they are not showing any of the Olympics. They are only showing it on the local channels. Does anyone know how to get the local channels if you have NOW? Do I need another wire from my TV to the wall? I know that I turn off NOW and change extensions, but it doesn't seem to be working...I need to see the Olympics! HELP PLEASE!!!

You connect a cable to the wall socket, change the TV source to 'TV' or something else depending on your TV, tune in the TV to the channels. It all sounds simple but embarrassingly I called in the management technicians to get it sorted! I am now the laughing stock among the locals at work for not realising it was just a case of retuning the TV.

You need to look for an old fashioned antenna socket on the wall, typically somewhere in the living room. There might be two sockets, one for TV and one for radio.

Plug those into the TV and figure out how to tune it.

I'm VERY surprised at the number of expats who have adopted NOW and not even realized that there are free broadcast channels - another mailing list we monitor has several confused people too, so don't worry, you're not alone.

I'm in exactly the same position .. and I do know how to tune a TV (or thought I did) but we could not find a single channel. I think my ariel is bust (we live on a boat, could have been damaged in the recent typhoons or could need to be plugged in somewhere on top, have not had time to investigate yet!). Like the OP I had NO IDEA there were free local channels in English! If I ever manage to get it working I will try them out because I find NOW to be quite poor to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Like the OP I had NO IDEA there were free local channels in English! If I ever manage to get it working I will try them out because I find NOW to be quite poor to be honest.
    If you find the 80+ English channels on NowTV to be poor then I fear you will be mightily disappointed with the two local English channels. Don't lose any sleep over getting that antenna connected!

if your TV is relatively new you should be able to auto-tune in the on screen menu. you'll find the local channels in the UHF spectrum. i actually prefer the locals for alot of programming since it features CH subtitles for my wife's benefit, and of course for the olympic coverage (horrible commentary excepted)

My Now box is advertising Olympics on it's HDTV service when I switch it on. It's on none of the default SDTV channels though.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    If you find the 80+ English channels on NowTV to be poor then I fear you will be mightily disappointed with the two local English channels. Don't lose any sleep over getting that antenna connected!
    Hmm - I must be missing something because I don't have 80 English channels! Mind you, that might just be because we did not sign up to them. In terms of "general entertainment" (ie drama, soaps etc) we only have AXN, Star World, BBC Entertainment and Australia Network. Of which we find the BBC Entertainment to be a head and shoulders above the others. I find maybe two shows a week worth watching on AXN and Star... but that could just be because I have no interest in reality TV, American comedy or quiz shows involving children....
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 10-08-2008 at 06:05 PM.

can ANYONE confirm that they have watched live full Olympic coverage (as opposed to a highlights package) on NOW?

I understand from here
    that i-Cable got the digital rights to live internet and mobile Olympic coverage...

i feel your pain

MovingIn07...we, in what can now only be described as a moment of utter stupidity, chose AXN and HBO as our free options with NOW TV, and they threw in Australia Network as well...what a waste of life watching those channels turned out to be...I can see why you have no use for NOW...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast