How's your i-Cable experience? PCCW 6M or i-Cable 130M?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How's your i-Cable experience? PCCW 6M or i-Cable 130M?

Hi there,

Just looking to start a thread on the experience people are having with i-Cable broadband at the moment. Moving to a Happy Valley walk-up and the only options appear to be PCCW 6M $298/mth or i-Cable 130M shared $158/mth. No installation fee for i-cable, $380 for PCCW.

Regards,

Kiwi

Last edited by HKKiwi; 07-07-2014 at 12:05 PM.

I had both in my house for a couple years. PCCW 100mbps and iCable 130mbps. Ran half of the machines on one and half on the other. My observations:

1) Speedtest showed essentially the same speed for both to local and some overseas servers.
    2) Real-time usage speed was essentially the same.
    3) Streaming of videos from overseas was essentially the same, maybe a slight bit more lag / buffering on iCable.
    4) iCable had three breakdowns over two years, but two of these were due to repair crews in the street fixing the road and cutting a cable. One was due to equipment problem in the building. Repair teams were at the door of my place within 24 hours.

There were two other factors though which were specific to me that resulted in my dropping iCable.

iCable used a proxy-like server that spooled through various IP addresses that it showed to visiting sites. So I'd go to say cnn.com and it was say my IP address was 123.45.67.100 and then the next page my IP address would be 123.45.78.001 or something. The server was using various IP addresses (sorry, I forget the term of art here, but it was a cost-savings measure apparently).

This led to two problems:

a) my SmartDNS service could never track where I was an thus I couldn't really use it.
    b) many of the IP addresses that spooled into use were on 'blacklists' as spammers, and some websites would block me from visiting due to bad behavior from some other machine that used that IP address at one time in the past.

But overall, not that big of a difference.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix
    The server was using various IP addresses (sorry, I forget the term of art here, but it was a cost-savings measure apparently).
    Its a transparent proxy and it will report wrong IP to DDNS if you don't set the updater right. iCable seems to love to use this.

As for OP question. I've used iCable, switch to PCCW and now back to iCable

I find iCable acceptable for browsing, emails etc. Not so if you try to do too much. I skype in HD and watch streaming video. With PCCW, the HD skype is super smooth. With iCable, I get stutter and frozen video quite often. Particularly during peak hours (9pm to 12am) when international gateway demand is high. Access to popular websites such as Youtube facebook etc is perfectly fine at all hours of the day.

If you can live with wait a few more minutes to download a very very large file, you are actually OK with iCable, although their service is horrible (bandwidth may drop to 0 and spike back up during peak hours). You should know that having a 5mbps line is actually more than sufficient for normal usage.

For me, I kinda regret switching back to iCAble as i have a few server running from home that requires stability as much as bandwidth. But at $133 a month, I shouldn't complain too much

Just switched from PCCW 6mb to iCable 130mb. Happy I made the move. Faster speeds at lower cost.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Thanks folks. I might give i-Cable a 7 day trial and see how it goes.

Had i-Cable installed last night. After 20 minutes I cancelled. Speed tests on Ookla would take several minutes to complete. Latest one to a UK server gave me a ping of 287ms and a download speed of 0.03Mbps. General browsing on sites such as this and the PCCW site are very slow. Will get PCCW installed and hope for better. Mind you, it couldn't get much worse..... could it?

Thumbs up iCable as an ISP

I've saved a bundle since kicking out Skinhead Li's Spamvigator - they attempted to foist alleged 300Mbps fibre upgrade on my 100Mbps circuit - at a grossly inflated co$t per month - This when I never even managed to get anywhere near 100Mbps Down or Up in my usage!

I happily welcomed iCable as an ISP supplier - and I seem to be the only user around here who uses it - i.e. I never see the iCable ID on any Wi-Fi signals apart from my own.

Not only that, but instead of paying $268 or so to that bloated plutocrat Li, I fork out only a average of $148 a month for 24 months [5 months free] for 50Mbps down / 10Mbps up. .... and It get very close to those speeds on Speedtest.net to HK.

At my location, I have only two choices - unfortunately for years I used the WRONG one, and my wallet suffered!

YMMV of course.

My I-cable experience was horrid. I subscribed to their Refer-a-friend promotion and basically didn't get it. Blame it on their poor internal sales infrastructure at best, false advertising at worst. I'm logging a complaint with the OFCA and will be switching service providers as soon as my contract is up.

I had i-cable installed last week and speedtest.net shows 30m down / 20m up. the salesperson said that i could expect a speed of at least 80m (with the 130m fiber option) and that if i didn't they'd send an engineer around to fix it. i mean, it seems fine but if they can make it faster i'll obviously get an engineer back around. i have my doubts though.

Just avoid I-Cable. They are horrible. They overcharged me by HKD400 per month over and above the contractual rate for the broadband without my consent. I do not have a TV. Customer care is rude, refused to take complaints and harassed me by calling 3-4 times a day for bill payments. They cheap rate is just a trap and not worth the hassle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast