TVB Pearl & ATV World HDTV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gdp
    Both TVB Pearl & ATV World are availble in SD format (4:3 instead of 16:9).Picture quality is good and you can switch off the chinese subtitles.
    Actually, some programs on both TVB Pearl & ATV World are digitally broadcast in SD 16:9 when appropriate. eg, earlier this year I watched that "Nip Tuck" show via the set top box and it was in proper16:9!

Ok, granted the reply prior to mine is already a few days old, but:

Is there any site where I can see which station are broadcast in DTT and above all in which languages? I still am reluctant to sign one of these now deals (why pay for watching CNN or CNBC, in Europe I get this for free over satellite) and would like to see which additional options I have through digital terrestrial television.

Anybody any idea where I can find a summary?

As usual: Thanks in advance for any useful answer!

DTT gets you TVB and ATV only. No non-local channels are rebroadcast here. You pay because you're not in a market where there is sufficient demand for CNN and CNBC for them to fund the infrastructure via advertising. If this bothers you a lot then I suggest you're living in the wrong country.

There are various satellite services available but unless you live in a standalone property you may have some difficulty persuading your building management / owners' committee to sign up for them.

Digital TV

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    [...] If this bothers you a lot then I suggest you're living in the wrong country.

[...]

Digital TV
    My choice about where I live can't be based on how many TV stations I can receive for free.

Since I am not speaking Mandarin nor Cantonese: How many English channels are available through ATV and TVB? - Thanks

Two - one from each. They are local channels, although they carry foreign programming. I seriously doubt that you will be satisfied, but you can see the schedules in the SCMP every day (TVB Pearl and ATV World).

sxc

Is there a problem with ATV World and TVB Pearl Digital broadcasts in the last few days? I've just returned to HK after the may day weekend, and all the other digital channels seem to be fine, but ATV World and TVB Pearl can't seem to be found by my TV anymore. I'm on Bonham road - is there an interference problem?

I'm on Seymour Road and they're fine here. It could be a problem with the building wiring or antenna. Ask your neighbours / building management if they have the same problem. If so then get the building equipment checked. If they don't then it's your equipment/setup.

sxc

It's weird, about 20 minutes after I posted my question, I did another scan and the channels came back on. So they were missing since at least yesterday until about 7.30 this morning.

I thought it might have been the reception or building problem, but if that was the case, why would the other digital channels come through loud and clear, but the English ones were missing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2