TVB Pearl & ATV World HDTV

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TVB Pearl & ATV World HDTV

Does anyone know if the TVB Pearl and ATV World are also on the HDTV? What I understand is that right now only Jade and Home are on HDTV.

Can anyone confirm?

All of the TVB and ATV channels are broadcast digitally. There is a limited amount of HD in Chinese, but none in English.

I was just at Broadway to pick up a Digital TV tuner or what you call it, so that I can enjoy HD while watching Olympics. But the guys at Broadway was surprisingly honest, and said that TVB Pearl (which broadcast OL in English) isn't available in HD, only TVB (in Chinese).

I was quite surprised, and ended up not buying it.

Can you guys confirm this?

Both TVB Pearl & ATV World are availble in SD format (4:3 instead of 16:9).Picture quality is good and you can switch off the chinese subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Master
    Can you guys confirm this?
    Yes. I already have, repeatedly, in these forums. For some reason people don't seem to believe me.

edx

I wish you would write a dummies guide, quick, before the Olympics end. I managed to get Digital TV on my computer, partly thanks to you, but equally thanks to my wife.

When people get knowledgeable about a particular subject and focus on that subject, they sometimes forget what it is like to be ignorant. They sometimes forget that there are many many other things they are ignorant of, and might need help with someday.

I value your comments, but I only understand them after I have learned the facts elsewhere. Sometimes your advice seems more of the "I told you so" style than of a teaching style.

After the Olympics end, there will remain many technical questions that can't be answered by Australians or Americans or Taiwanese, but good god, can you lighten up a little on the beginners? The world of knowledge of immense - nobody knows more than a fraction of it. Your expertise would be more valuable if you shared it more freely.

Quote Originally Posted by gdp
    Both TVB Pearl & ATV World are availble in SD format (4:3 instead of 16:9).Picture quality is good and you can switch off the chinese subtitles.
    So, picture quality is GOOD but it is not HD . There is no point then buying set-top-box if you want English content in HD. Besides, the additional channels which are launched are most likely in Chinese.

I suggest if you want English content in HD then it is better to wait. Cos by the time English content is in HD the prices of the boxes will come down and also the TV's will have the built-in HD tuner (I mean full HD instead of HD-ready) which is according to Hong Kong standards.

Quote Originally Posted by atique
    So, picture quality is GOOD but it is not HD
    In my experience, the difference between analogue and digital SD is much greater than that between SD and HD (as broadcast by NOW, which is 720p). Digital is definitely worth having if you have anything less than a perfect analogue system. You can rent a combined DTT/HD box from NOW if you spend enough with them.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    In my experience, the difference between analogue and digital SD is much greater than that between SD and HD (as broadcast by NOW, which is 720p). Digital is definitely worth having if you have anything less than a perfect analogue system. You can rent a combined DTT/HD box from NOW if you spend enough with them.
    I am giving them $288 each month for the NOW and plus few BBC package. I am not sure how much extra I will have to pay them extra for the DTT/HD Box

To be honest, NOW has so many different deals that the only way to find out what they would charge you is to call them and ask.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast