Like Tree1Likes

Chinese mobile - technical problem - no Google

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chinese mobile - technical problem - no Google

Please don't throw jargon at me as I'm confused enough as it is!

I have a Lenovo s960 which I bought from PRC merchant.

Updated it yesterday and now I no longer have Google Playstore, Gmail or anything else Google related.

It says the Playstore app cannot be downloaded and whilst I can download Gmail and the icon is on the screen, every time I click on it, it says it has stopped working.

I have searched Google (high and low) and I THINK this is what I did...updated a Chinese PRC update so the system changed to Kitkat (whatever that means) 4.4.2.

So is there a way to undo this update?
    Do I try and root the phone?
    Do I use factory reset? In which case, will it be taken back to the pre-jailbreak state or the 'everything in Chinese language' state?

Failing that, is there a shop in HK/Kowloon that can restore it to its original state?

Thanks!

Sorry this is a bit technical/jargon-ish, but I found this site:

http://www.androidrookies.com/2014/0...d-root-on.html

It explains how to install a custom recovery on your phone and root it. Once you have the custom recovery installed you can download a google apps package for Android 4.4.2 and then install it (also called flashing it) from the custom recovery. You might have to look up how to boot up your phone into recovery mode, though it might be hold down volume+,volume- and power button, then use volume+/volume- button to cycle through options. Alternatively you could take it to a shop to do it...

clyk likes this.

thanks for this but i've already looked on that site...

this has gone way over my head!

so if i recover the phone, what state will it be in? right now i can still see English but would it convert entirely to Chinese if i recover it?

Probably Chinese

anyone know a reliable shop that can repair this?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue88
    thanks for this but i've already looked on that site...

this has gone way over my head!

so if i recover the phone, what state will it be in? right now i can still see English but would it convert entirely to Chinese if i recover it?
    hopefully i can clarify a little, if you follow the instruction, it will add a recovery system which is separate to the main operating system, the main system wont change apart from maybe a few applications added. this will allow you to install all the google apps into it afterwards

it can look overwhelming at first but if you go through it step by step should be fine. when you reach step 10 you want to go here: http://www.teamandroid.com/gapps/. download gapps for 4.4 and use the instructions in step 8 & 9 to install the gapps. once done you should have access to the playstore again

if you're adement at giving it to a shop to fix, you could try sincere bldg in MK or along ApLiu in SSP but as far as i know they tend to do hardware rather than software.

oh ok i'm starting to understand now...thanks! thanks to mikeyv too.

this bricking business..is this likely to happen? why would there be a chance of this anyway?

try the shop first, they may not help you at all or have an obligation to help you, esp, if it's a grey import,

http://www.lenovo.com/contact/hk/en/...artphone.shtml

try their service centre, if grey import again, they may not help you or charge an grey import surcharges

these are the risk of buying grey imports, but if official stock. lenovo service centre will help you

but note if this is grey import, the lenovo serv

already tried the service centre - won't help regardless whether i pay...

so assuming the merchant won't repair it then i could try and find a shop in hk to deal with it...

nothing is broken. So unless you pay someone, no one is going to root it for you. Service center will for sure won't root it for you, they want you to use their app store and pay them money rather than google.

I was going to suggest you use a simple to install mod like cyanogen, turns out there is none, probably the phone is new. I strongly suggest you
    1. root the phone by yourself if you can
    2. use the phone as if you will lose it one day (i.e. all data backed up, all phonebook stored online etc)
    3. once someone comes out with a newlly rooted rom, flash it

I root all my phones once I buy them. Have not bricked any but my friend has (turns out samsung sold phones with faulty EEprom with 1st gen note2)

you could flash it back to the old factory rom and never update again
    http://droidcn.blogspot.nl/2013/10/l...l-rom.html?m=1

Last edited by ycchai; 13-07-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast