PCCW International Data Roaming = Highway Robbery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I got a blackberry. with a CTM Macau SIM. Their roaming charges sound too good to be true.
    Roaming for Thailand is 0.02 MOP per kB, for HK 0.01 MOP per KB. China is significantly more expensive at 0.07 MOP, still half PCCW's price.

By the way, CTI has a Bridge roaming data package for 5, 15 or 40 MB (Covers most Asian destinations except China). 40 MB for 888 HKD per month. But with a blackberry, used only for text emails, using WIFI wherever possible, even 5 MB is hard to reach. (Would cost me about 50 HK$ roaming in Hong Kong with my Macau plan).

I just want to wait for the first bill to see if the unbelievable comes true.

bdw

But still even at half the price of PCCW, isnt it still outrageously expensive? So maybe instead of a $3000 bill for 5 minutes usage, you get a $1500 bill.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    But still even at half the price of PCCW, isnt it still outrageously expensive? So maybe instead of a $3000 bill for 5 minutes usage, you get a $1500 bill.
    If it is only for emails, 40-50 emails a day result in a monthly usage of 3 MB, if text only. Blackberry provides a very good compression In China 3 MB would be around 316 MOP, less than 300 RMB.
    Watch out in Europe, since many carriers have a minumum charge of sometimes even 100 kb per usage (some "only" 10kB though). In Asia it is usually 1 kB.

And yes, it sounds like robbery, but the UMTS licenses in Germany only were auctioned for 50 billion Euros in 2000.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 09-02-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Yep, we need to keep in mind that infrastructure and licences cost alot.
    In many countries, the price of spectrum is questionable to say the least.

I'm not saying the price is reasonable in my opinion, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Realistically and ethically speaking, there should be a "pricing indication" given to all customers in regards to overseas data charges, coupled with the option to not allow o/s data.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Yep, we need to keep in mind that infrastructure and licences cost alot.
    In many countries, the price of spectrum is questionable to say the least.

I'm not saying the price is reasonable in my opinion, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Realistically and ethically speaking, there should be a "pricing indication" given to all customers in regards to overseas data charges, coupled with the option to not allow o/s data.
    The data roaming charges are on PCCW's website. Took me less than 5 minutes to find the information for data roaming for Thailand.

well, that's half the battle. Now, let's have an option to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    well, that's half the battle. Now, let's have an option to disable it.
    Some phone have it on Iphone you can data roaming off in the setting.

I see a good chance for the OP to just not pay anything he disputes.

A friend of mine had a bill of 30k HK$ after travelling to Germany for 2 weeks. The default setting of the Iphone was to check emails every 15 minutes without any data traffic happening. In the end they let him get away without any payment, but he had to change his mobile number since they cancelled the service, but they didn't have the balls to take him to court.

bdw

Well if you dont want to pay without a fight, make sure you turn off autopay ASAP. There is a good chance you wont be able to turn it off and PCCW will just take your $3000 anyway even if you are actively disputing it with them.

I recall going to the filipines for 2 days and having MSN/Fring on for most of the working hours. My total bill was HK$7.9 @ HK$0.10/KB

79KB is quite a lot of chatting if your don't use the original IM protocols like IM and use Frings own proprietary protocol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2