Like Tree20Likes

Changing plugs on appliances (so I don't have to use adapter)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    There isn't a lot of point to be stripping wires etc when you can get these things very easily for $5 each:

Also you can get these things on Ap Liu Street, Sham Shui Po with 8 outlets (with a HK outlet that plugs into the wall) for less than $100:
    Another variation of this theme is to bring some Australian power boards over and then just add the plug adapter to the end of that, then you can just plug your Aussie plugged items into the Aussie power board, then plug the wall socket lead into the HK adapter. No need to strip a whole stack of plugs, unless, you like doing that sort of thing.
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Another variation of this theme is to bring some Australian power boards over and then just add the plug adapter to the end of that, then you can just plug your Aussie plugged items into the Aussie power board, then plug the wall socket lead into the HK adapter. No need to strip a whole stack of plugs, unless, you like doing that sort of thing.
    This is what we did.

There isn't a lot of point to be stripping wires etc when you can get these things very easily for $5 each:
    Attachment 54093
    Use them only for low power items. The don't connect well and get warm easily. I got some up to the melting point already.
    imparanoic and shri like this.

Attachment 54093
    They are handy, but on the off chance that the OP has a kid, they are not particularly safe.

Also you can get these things on Ap Liu Street, Sham Shui Po with 8 outlets (with a HK outlet that plugs into the wall) for less than $100:
    Attachment 54097
    We have taken apart some of the cheaper powerbars (the kind of thing you find on Ap Lui St) and as a result I have switched all my old cheapie powerbars to branded ones (mainly Scheider and Brennenstuhl off memory). The cheap bars are f*cking safety nightmares with the worst soldering jobs I have ever seen in my life. In one case the earthing wire had no copper in it- it was just a piece of empty plastic sheathing screwed into place.

There's been a discussion about these multi-country bars before, and I remember someone posting that high quality ones are available, but they're not going to be found on the street stalls of SSP.
    imparanoic, spode and scrambler like this.

The British 3 pin plug is the best mains plug for fitting securely into a socket without wobbles. Trying to use adaptors is not particularly safe, particularly for higher powered appliances (don't use for kettles and hair driers). If the plug wobbles, then heat will be generated and a fire risk exists. The adaptors rarely comply with any safety standard and are often made of very cheap materials. Don't use them unless it's for ultra low powered products (phone chargers, etc).

Cut off those nasty 2 pin plugs and replace with good old BS1363 plugs - the safest in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Those power strips which accept multiple types of plug are available in a lot of electrical shops, not always on display for mysterious reasons, try going in to one and showing a picture, they probably have some hidden away somewhere
    They're technically illegal from what I was told once. I had to buy them from Shenzhen and plug into the wall using the cheap adapters bdw referenced.
    spode, shri and Rob2020 like this.

You may wish to consult the Government's Electrical and Mechanical Services Department publications, such as "Household Electrical Safety Handbook :
    Part 2 - Safety Guidelines for Household Electrical Appliances"

Protecting Public Safety : Electricity : Publications : General : Electrical Installations : Household Electrical Safety Handbook

Do not use plug adapters long-term.

If you have a lot, just hire a handyman to come in and replace all your plugs in one go. What I also do is clip the cords shorter since most cords are 1.5m long and you are only like 0.5m from socket so the rest of the cord just gets tangled. Especially using powerbars close to socket, I always clip the cord (and sometimes wall mount) since I hate tangle web of wires. I second the poster who recommends buying only branded power bars, as the cheap ones are flimsy and dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    They're technically illegal from what I was told once. I had to buy them from Shenzhen and plug into the wall using the cheap adapters bdw referenced.
    Yeah, that's what my local electrical/airconditioner shop guy told me also, but he did have some stashed away (with a UK plug at the end of the cable), very handy.

Agree with other poster, the UK plug has to be the best design in the market, it won't fall out accidentally, the connectors are (over) spec'd and the built-in fuse (although technically no longer needed) is a nice reassurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    . . . the UK plug has to be the best design in the market . . .
    That's all well and good until you step on one with the the prongs facing up in the middle of the night.
    timonoj likes this.