Like Tree14Likes

Help with damaged screw!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

You legend. Well done

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    YEAH BITCH!!

Well, I guess I could say that if I did it myself. Took it to a guys in the 259 Wanchai Computer center. The first shop as you enter, they have a wide desk with some pendrives and gadgets for sale, and you see them often fixing a laptop. I showed the guy I only needed him to take the screw. After the first three failed attempts, he took it upon himself as a challenge. He got a very tiny flat head screwdriver, and did a kungfu super fast twist with the hand. The screw finally budged. He got it.

...Which is good, by now the 24GB old SSD no longer works. No damage is visible, but it's no longer detected by the BIOS. I guess in one of my last attempts I must have scratched one of the microscopic resistors attached next to the chip.

Anyway, after some reboots and some figuring out (an NGFF SSD connects through PCIE, so Windows doesn't immediately figure out that's a hard drive), it seems to work!
    Forgot to mention, the guy refused to charge me anything for it. I was really grateful to this nicety, no so used to see honest retailers here. He even gave me a new screw to fit in the gap so I could fit my new SSD. I know these are really cheap things and 10 mins work, but he saved my arse.
    wtbhotia, shri and iliketurtles like this.

I only clicked on this because I thought it was a sexual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    I only clicked on this because I thought it was a sexual problem.
    It is . . . did you not pick up on the metaphors, innuendos and outright explicit dirty talk in this thread?!

Quote Originally Posted by huja
    Could you post a picture? It would be helpful to see how tight the situation is . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    drill and hope for the best
    Quote Originally Posted by shafiq
    ..try the vertical and horizontal slot and it should work ...
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles
    I am really intrigued about how this will turn out. This is how sad my life has become!

OP good luck . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    YEAH BITCH!!

Well, I guess I could say that if I did it myself. Took it to a guys in the 259 Wanchai Computer center. . . After the first three failed attempts, he took it upon himself as a challenge. . . He got it.
    bookblogger, emx and timonoj like this.

I do hope the vertical slot worked and they didn't have to find an alternative entry point!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3